Maybe you noticed...

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

Re: Maybe you noticed...

Postby downtowndeco » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:51 am

It's gonna sound weird but the cars, tracks and drivers are just all too good now. Yes, in most cases, I find NASCAR boring too now. 4 hours of droning in a circle with a tiny bit of excitement in the last 20 minutes. You know what I enjoy more now? NHRA & Le Mans style sports car racing. Drag racing is great because every 5 seconds there is a new winner, and a guy from Nowhere USA can build a car in his garage & show up & compete against the world champion on live TV in front of a full house. True, it's rare that they win, but it does happen, more than you'd think. Endurance racing just has more variety so that's why I enjoy it.

My advice for NASCAR? Yes, take much of the aero out of the cars and try a few more tracks like the Charlotte roval. Basically it would throw a monkey wrench into the long and deep crew chief's playbook & introduce some unpredictability.
downtowndeco
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby strangebrew » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:03 am

Lest we forget................NASCAR does run the trucks on dirt at Eldora with a short track formula.
.............(qualify, heats, feature).......................
Maybe they should take a page from the ARCA playbook & run some dirt races at state fairgrounds mile dirt tracks.
Those races are big draws here in Illinois.
strangebrew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:55 am

When I was a boy, there were races at the former Air Force Base at Pine Bluff, Arkansas, connected in some way to the State Fair. It was sports cars (daily drivers), mostly British, so Jaguar XK120 was pretty much king.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Previous

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge