Rep.acement car help

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

Rep.acement car help

Postby chappy » Sat May 27, 2017 9:14 pm

Well this has been a really bad week here north of the border .
Had little Beemer X3 fixed twice and it's still not fixed. I really need the reliability right now.
So I HAVE been looking g at used Ford explorers 2012s and and the Honda Ridgeline 2010 and the Honda Odysey 2012.
Anyone have any input that may assist me in making a decision or asking the right questions.
All are capable of pulling my trailer 3500 lbs the Odysey gets the best gas mileage and has video for the grandsons.
All have 3.5 litre engines and also a 2012 Nissan Xtera with a 4 liter engine.
Thanks for any Insight
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Re: Rep.acement car help

Postby btaylor » Sun May 28, 2017 6:59 am

Bob, the explorer is plagued with issues. Both electrical and mechanical. As much as i tout buy American, the honda will outlast all the rest. At least that has been my experience with 45 years in the automobile maintenance world.
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby hksk25 » Sun May 28, 2017 8:29 am

Agree totally with above statement. Get a Honda, depending on your needs, truck or van.

Harry
hksk25
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun May 28, 2017 9:23 am

I'm with Bob on this one, too. The Explorer is really a Mazda Tribute with Ford labels and Ford alterations, all of which were bad. I'd go with the Odyssey, never read anything bad about it. Still going with Honda. But look very closely at the Ridgeline before you decide on it. It isn't a truck, the bed's too small. It isn't a car, you nearly need a stepladder to climb into it. It isn't a van, a wagon, or a anything else, really. The worst thing about it is the poorly designed "attempted truck" nature of it. The best thing is that under that crazy skin, its all Honda, and will go on practically forever. My wife's beloved 1994 Honda Accord is still in top condition, and I don't remember how many times the odometer has rolled over. To date, the most serious repair was when I replaced the alternator a couple of years ago. The only difficulty in the task was that Japanese auto workers apparently have hands the size of a small child, and it was an all-afternoon job cramming my unusually large hands through tiny spaces.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Jesla » Sun May 28, 2017 11:01 am

As much as I am a Ford guy, I suggest you don't consider the 'Exploder' as we have come to know them.

Until the Ranger returns to the US market I have settled on your basic Nissan Frontier.

Not a single problem in three years, fuel milage sucks though.....
Jesla
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Sun May 28, 2017 4:22 pm

If you are towing anything I would suggest a Light duty truck. Supercrew F150 4 X4 will give you all the passenger space, and 5.0 engine will pull that trailer like it is not even there. I used to try towing with the smaller SUV's and they just don't have the grunt. The gas mileage on the Ford will probably be better than an overworked V6.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun May 28, 2017 5:53 pm

Yeah, just for perspective, the standard 300 C.I. inline six (the "Stump Puller"), by Ford converts to 5.0L, the 360 c.i. V-8 is a 6.0L, and the big boy of the Ford trucks, the 460 c.i. is 7.5L. My '67 F-100 had the six, my '70 F-100 had the 360, and the 3/4 ton '73 F-150 I had last had the 460. The best by far was the 300 six with a 3-on-the-tree. Just sayin'...

All of them pulled a 26 foot cabin cruiser with no effort, but the gas stops for the 460 felt like they wasted half a day.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby 2FER SLOTS » Sun May 28, 2017 7:05 pm

I think a little heavier vehicle would be safer for towing, was surprised you listed an Odyssey.
We have plenty of customers with Silverados that work and play well.
Don't know what your local mechanics have repair skills for, but around here a good BMW repair is tough to come up with.
2FER SLOTS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Sun May 28, 2017 8:58 pm

Thanks Guys, it seems a good BMW repair is tough here too.
I've spent about $900.00 on it this last 3 weeks. Valve cover gasket , tune up, temperature sensor and starter, and now all I get is click click click.
I looked at the Odysey due to my 2 grandsons and my aging parents. It is a lightweight at pulling I realize but I figure a dump run with the utility trailer won't hurt it.
The Ridgeline would pull a little more like my old Ford Sport Track but I can't see my 87 yr old parents climbing up into it. So ot sound like the Odysey may be the answer. I can trade the Beemer back in where i got it for the Odysey. The one i am looking at is a 2012 Touring edition with 70k miles on it.
Any word on that particular year, ? I think I can get it for about $17k US and my trade in at about $10k so a difference of $7k
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge