HRW HQ flooding update

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

Re: HRW HQ flooding update

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon May 01, 2017 11:04 pm

We just got power back, after 2 hrs in the dark with heavy rain and lightning all around. According to the news, we dodged a bullet. The center squall line of the storm went north and we got a just shred of the main body. Its in Maine now. Fast mover.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue May 02, 2017 9:19 am

Thanks Dave.

Yes, its a tough time around here. Although we are VERY fortunate compared to others. The devastation from this flooding is simply incredible.

So no internet or low cell service is nothing compared to others.

Please us my email or PM here to contact me. I can check every hour or so. I have service at my 1:1 job, but also limited.

Thanks all.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby 4424ever » Tue May 02, 2017 10:21 am

Stay safe Harry hopefully the worst is over!
4424ever
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed May 03, 2017 5:07 pm

Work crews got the job done today. In very bad weather they repaired all 7 snapped poles near our bridge. Internet and electric back on thanks to the efforts by these professionals.

This was the scene I passed coming from work. It''s still raining quite hard and very cold (43). You need a certain kind of sand to hang these lines in this kind of weather, not to mention the guys on safety cables recovering lines from under the bridge.

So back online now. Smells funny in here. Shotgun? What the heck you been cookin' in here?
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed May 03, 2017 7:04 pm

I remember surveying when it was 35 degrees out and sprinkling rain. A puff of wind now and then made everybody in the crew moan, especially the senior crew, the chief and the instrument man, 50, and 55, respectively. I was miserable, and I was 24! It was a huge farm property with woods at one end, and the wind would make the tree limbs rattle, then come across the field to where we were. We were always 100 ft apart all the time, and hearing a moan from that distance and knowing exactly why, is a memory of misery. Surveying is comparatively light work when looking at what the guys did for Harry and his neighbors, so they were damned miserable, indeed.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby strangebrew » Thu May 04, 2017 1:29 pm

There's been a couple of guys dangling from beneath helicopters to work on lines over rivers & highways around here. :o

P.S. My sump pump failed Sunday overnight. Luckily I went into the basement early Monday A.M. & only stepped into about
an inch & a half of water......Had a spare & after splashing around a bit got it all installed & things cleaned up & ALMOST dried out.
Most stuff is stored on shelves or in plastic tubs. I have that same smell the Harry was talking about. :roll:
strangebrew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge