track storage over summer

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

track storage over summer

Postby seal666 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:32 pm

I have a scaley sport track that is temporarily in a non air conditioned space. Since I'll be out of commission till the fall, was wondering the best way to store the layout over the summer. New Jersey gets hot and HUMID. I plan on covering with drop cloth's, but was wondering if rails should be coated with clipper oil or something.
Bob e
seal666

Re: track storage over summer

Postby chappy » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:20 pm

Perhaps inox on the rails and lay the track flat on each other if possible. The inox will prevent corrosion and laying flat in stacks should prevent any warping or curling.
Not sure of drop cloths if you are talking the plastic kind.
If you mean material drop cloths yes as it lets things breath. Plastic will cause and keep condensation and humidy in with the track.
Even paper is better than plastic.
Good luck
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby seal666 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:33 pm

Should have been clearer, this is my layout so track is on plywood. Was planning on using cloth painters drop cloths. Will need to Google inox, have heard of it, guess I could find it at Lowes or Depot.
seal666

Postby frank9129 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:37 pm

My track is routed 16'x4' on MDF. I keep it on my car port 12 months a year. I purchased a barn to store it but my Track Manager commandeered it.
I have not had many problems. We have even had a hurricane or two. Ijust cover it with a 12'x20' tarp from Harbor Freight.
A little 10W40 on the rails and you should be good. I would check it once a month just to check.
Good luck. :banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance:
frank9129
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:41 pm

Actually Seal i think SCC sell it Inox is quite a good product and a little goes a long way.
If the track is as you say on plywood , it would only take a drop on each rail about every 10 feet and run the cars around to spread it. Or lightly wipe the rails with it .
Material painters drop cloth should be ideal as a cover.
If the track is secured to the plywood , you should be just fine. I dont think that you will
be able to solve the expansion and contraction issues unless you have a constant climate control which it sounds you havent. However all should return to normal.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby RichD » Mon May 01, 2017 7:44 am

WD-40 or Inox will protect the rails while the track is in storage. You are not likely to find Inox in a regular store, I got mine via Amazon, but Slot Car Corner does carry it: https://www.slotcarcorner.com/INOX-MX3/ ... p1527.html . I agree that a plastic tarp would tend to trap moisture. A painter's drop cloth would keep dust off without trapping moisture. Extremes in temperature will cause the track to expand and contract. It would be better if the track was not fastened down if it will be exposed to those extremes.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby seal666 » Mon May 01, 2017 8:49 am

Track is on plywood, but not attached to it. So I should probably separate several sections of track about 1/4 inch or so. Much like gaps I used to cut in model rail trackage. While not familiar with inox, I have plenty of wd40. Actually spray parts of track and run cars around every couple of weeks.
seal666

Postby mattb » Mon May 01, 2017 8:51 am

Cover it and don't worry about it.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge