1949 Camel/ midget add.

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

1949 Camel/ midget add.

Postby btaylor » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:57 pm

I had to have this for the wall of the race room! And no, Kids, I don't condone smoking, and am not promoting them. Just a quaint add from another time. I had to share this. And NO cigarettes didn't kill him. a sprint car did in 1952.
Politically incorrect Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Re: 1949 Camel/ midget add.

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:15 pm

I grew up with ads like that and TV commercials with doctors promoting various brands, pilots and firemen, and cops, and politicians all did these. I remember "Life" and "Look" magazines had full page ads with gorgeous women and impossibly handsome men, all smoked up. Lots of Hollywood people, too. For me, as a kid in the 50s, it was nothing at all. Nobody thought anything of it, and nobody I ever heard of started smoking because of it. The ads were to promote specific brand names, because incredibly, it was assumed that everybody smoked cigarettes. It really never occurred to anyone I ever heard of that there was a health concern associated with it. That started around 1967 or so, and took hold seriously around 1974. It took me until 1994 to completely let go of cigarettes, and I struggled for nearly 20 years to do it. I started because it was cool to smoke, it went with the ducktail greaser hairdo and a cobbled together Moped to imitate a motorcycle. Collar turned up in back to identify me as a "hood", pointed Beatle boots, etc.

Just to set the scene for any young ones among us...
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Re: 1949 Camel/ midget add.

Postby Vintage 1/24 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:28 pm

Bill Schindler was one of the great midget drivers.

He lost his leg in a racing accident - but with no clutch pedal, and of course the hand brake, he had everything he needed to continue to win handily in the midgets.

One of his cars would make for a good subject to build.

And Camels? I think I saw an ad where Santa was smoking them - or maybe that was Lucky Strike?
Vintage 1/24
Mr. NY Modified

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge