[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Dale Jr.

Dale Jr.

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

Dale Jr.

Postby bookie » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:31 am

bookie
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Dale Jr.

Postby Z-carfan » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:09 am

I saw this posted at work today. I can't say I'm too surprised but I will miss him not racing.
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ky.Slot Racer » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:01 am

I think that writing was on the wall. I don`t watch the big show any more, but just from what was in the media after and during his break. IMO he seen the light, and realized it aint worth it, he did that! My, my, my, what`s the big show to do now, like him or hate him Sr.s passing had a large part in the drop in NCAR loosing many of it`s core fans. And the ones that stuck in there jumped on the Jr. bandwagon. And I beleive he has been the MPDriver sinse his dads passing. So this will probably big the second big hit to the NCAR fan base, not even taking into consideration what they have done to the game themselves with all the rules changing. Can`t say that I give a d... personally. I have RPettys final season on dvd, I could probably watch that over every year and be more interested than I would be with what it has turned into now ! sad sad sad
Ky.Slot Racer
HRW Master Modeler

Postby Mayberryman » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:15 am

I have been saying all off season that Jr. would retire after this year. I do not believe that his heart is really into racing this year and that he only came back to retire on his own terms and not because of a concussion. I think that he still has some big decisions such as how important is racing at Talladega and running the risk of the impact of the "Big One". You could tell after the Bristol wreck when the reporters attempted to interview him that he was deep in thought, for one of the few times he had no one line quips and only offered short and generic answers to how he felt. I am sure that Jr. told Rick last year that perhaps they should be thinking of finding a young driver to replace him. I have never been a big fan of Jr. mostly because of the over hype of the press he got after his father died and the Teresa ordeal, however, I do believe that Jr. could leave one of the biggest and most important legacies ever in NASCAR. That would be that it is OK to walk away and think more about your long term health and the quality of life after racing.
Mayberryman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bigman » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:15 pm

Guys
Some people must like him. :happy-wavemulticolor:
He's been the most popular driver for years, the fans voted him into that club. :happy-wavemulticolor:
I think NASCAR will take another big hit when he's gone.
Hopefully he'll spend his time running his team, those drivers are pretty good. :handgestures-thumbup:
I also think the rules they have in place this year has helped, running the segments makes it better for the fans
no one is running laps at the back anymore :idea: , I haven't watch much this year, but the new kids have done a better job staying up front from what I have seen. :auto-driving: :auto-driving: :auto-driving:

bigman :flags-waveusa: OLD Fan. :auto-checkeredflag:
bigman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:45 pm

They tried to replace Carson when he retired. Lots of people didn't realize that when he left, he took the tonite show with him.

A fan or not, most realize when Sr got killed a bit of Nascar went with him. Then retirements by most of the drivers during that era, this year Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart. Next year Jr, the bottom line is a really big hit for Nascar, allready with worst tv ratings they have ever had, seats removed or covered at most tracks, attendance numbers now kept secret, they really don't need more bad stuff.

Looks like Nascar may transition back to the 60's era and be a more regional sport for the south. provided they can get the old fans back.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cheater » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:09 pm

Maybe it's time to take a close look at the Trans Am series.They have the camera work and track coverage worked out.Lot's of american car's and enough rough stuff to keep your attention.I've watched last year and some of this year and it look's really good.

Cheater
Cheater
I've got Major Medical

Postby proxieken » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:29 am

Oddly enough, I am a new Nascar fan. My old workplace was filled with Nascar fanatics and one guy I worked with wore an Earnhardt shirt every single day without fail. When Sr. died the place was devastated. During those years I never bothered to give it a chance.

But football and baseball just got boring, so I started watching Nascar. I find it a lot more interesting than the perceived "turn left" that a lot of non-fans use to describe it. The tire wear issues, pit stops, and managing the race all combine to make it more than it seems.

I like the personalities, and enjoy watching the new drivers that are entering the sport.

The restrictor plate races I can skip- not really to my liking. I love watching the road courses the best.

In spite of the loss of iconic names I hope it keeps going strong.
proxieken
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:13 pm

Where do you watch trans am racing? Sounds like that might be good racing. To be fair to Nascar, big time drag racing is going thru the same transition. Costs are out of control and it really isn't worth the dollars the sponsors pay, so they drop out and owners have to get a little here and a little there to try and come up with the dollars they need. Fan interest gets lower and lower, which is true for all motorsports, I guess. That is related to the age of the fans and when they grew up.
All the fans I know grew up in the 60's and are a part of the car generation.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby strangebrew » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:45 pm

Same here..I raced 1:1 mods on dirt for 28 years.....Got to be too expensive, A few big spenders would dominate & the fans got tired
of the same winners every week. Track promoters would add cheaper junk classes & soon there were 3 or 4 classes
of bombers & 4 cylinders you had to wade through to get to the "good stuff".
Race nights took too long & those hard benches were tough on fans, so attendance dropped off.
I only go to the "big shows" now when they come to the local tracks. :twocents-mytwocents:
strangebrew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby padirtfan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:54 pm

There's a class that runs in Central Pa called super sportsman this is basically a sprint type chassis with 2x4 main rails, a 358 single carb motor on alky and a small top wing with no front wing. A lot of the teams use tires that the 410 guys are done with. They're light, pretty quick and the racing is really good. They still pull pretty strong (for these days) fields and crowds. Up until this year they were running Friday nights at Williams Grove and the admission was generally $5, now they're running at Susquehanna Speedway which is a smaller track and suits them better. I've always found it to be an entertaining show.
padirtfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cheater » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:28 pm

mattb.
I have been watching Trans Am on the computer this year.Last year there were some televised.They have three classes and the racing is very good.Google their site for more info.

Cheater
Cheater
I've got Major Medical

Postby docdoom » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:49 pm

were did u find those t/a races on the net only thing I have found are the ones from last year on u tube.Did cbs sports drop the t/a cars?
docdoom
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ky.Slot Racer » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:33 am

Ky.Slot Racer
HRW Master Modeler

Postby Mayberryman » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:53 am

Mayberryman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge