Re: Daytona 2017 Racing With New Rules

Postby arroldn » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:06 pm

Still to many wrecks.

Arrold
arroldn
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:27 pm

Time to make drivers pay for the cars they wreck. I think Jamie McMurray caused the destruction of about 20 cars today at $300-$400 thou apiece, I think he should get a bill for about 5-8 million dollars from the car owners. A little bumping is racing, but it went beyond that today. I like the points rule so the top guys do race and not just ride. If races keep taking this long, they will need to shorten the distance...

I'm done till Bristol in March. I will watch that whole race. -One good thing about my loss of interest in Nascar is that I only care about watching 6-8 races a year now. The rest I can dvr and maybe watch the whole race in 30-40 minutes or not at all.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bigman » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:06 pm

Guys
I hate saying this but, I like the new rules, nobody was dropping back to miss the big one. :violence-stickwhack:
Now you earn point through out the whole race :idea: (sections)
To me it looked like everyone was trying hard to win a section and get some points. :auto-driving: :auto-driving: :auto-driving: :auto-driving:

bigman :flags-waveusa: :auto-checkeredflag:
bigman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby hillbilly » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:21 pm

I'm with bigman I liked it. Kind of broke the race up and gave a little excitement to a different parts of the race, But I'm NASCAR fan so I am going to watch. hillbilly
hillbilly

Postby Racie35 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:25 pm

They've ruined one of sports biggest days with queer rules.....it sucked
Racie35
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby nhdungeonracer » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:12 pm

I'm not sure yet if I like the "stage" racing, but I applaud Nascar for the 5 minute repair or go to the garage and you're done rules. It's about time they got damaged cars that were laps down just running for points out of the way. Is it perfect? No, but it's certainly a step in the right direction.

Glad to see Kurt finally win the big race. Sure must be a big boost for the new Steward/Haas Racing and Ford relationship.
And quite a few "not so famous" names finishing in the top ten, including Mikey getting 8th in his last ride here.
nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Postby arroldn » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:28 am

I was just glad the last 10 laps didn't end with wrecking as the commentators expected. Glad to see Kurt get the wind but I was really pulling for Joey in the 22 or hoping my long time idols car #43 would get in the winners circle.

Was doing a little research yesterday on Pro Racing. The only Series that still uses an engine that you and I can purchase is NHRA Pro Stock. Funny Car and Top Fuel all use Hemi engines, making 10,000 HP. However it is not the Hemi you would buy from Mopar. The bodies can be called Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Dodge or whatever. But the drive-trains are all the same. So the only place you actuallly have Ford vs Chevy vs Chrysler/Dodge is in Pro Stock.

Toyota's new 2017 Camry has a new front end. Will it have an advantage over the Ford or Chevy? We know JGR cars won a lot last year. From the racing all cars seemed pretty equal in this first race. Time will tell.
arroldn
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:55 am

Speaking of Joey, he was running in about 5th place near the end of the race when they cut to a commercial, when they got back to the race he was near the end of the field. I guessed that he either got out of shape or he just got shuffled back.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Z-carfan » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:29 am

I have to say, I like the three segment setup. It made three sections of the race more interesting and meaningful to me, instead of three and 1/2 hours of lap after lap bordem, followed by green white checkers and wreckers.

I reluctantly think I may watch more now. That's something since I lost interest in the COT era.
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BIG E » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:49 pm

Well, I think there are a whole lot of people that can be "blamed" for those big wrecks, not just Jamie Mac, who happens to be a pretty good plate racer.
I'm not defending him in particular, I just go back to what Mark Martin used to say, "this ain't racin'!" - when asked about any plate race.
Yeah, the high speeds are cool (they'll be going plenty fast next week at Atlanta), but I still hate plate racing. No out braking someone into a corner, and they don't dare take their foot off the throttle! Dragging the brake is about all they've got to regulate the speed in those ridiculous drafting packs.
Yes, I'm glad Kurt Bush won it for SHR, in a FORD (yes!), with another FORD in 2nd place. I did enjoy that at least.

I watched the race with a couple of members of our model car club (Long Island Auto Replica Society - LIARS - hold the jokes, please) at a member's house. He's a big drag racing photographer and has an Auto World HO slot car drag strip set just to have some fun. Four of his eight AW 4Gear cars ran kinda slow, the others barely at all. I had brought my HO drag box with me to play around during the NASCAR broadcast, so I had all my tools with me. I disassembled, cleaned and lubricated each of his cars, and when they were ready I ditched the AW 13.5V power supply and plugged in an AFX 22V "wall wart" that I had with me. Oh yeah, now he REALLY likes running these cars! I told him I'd pick up a new power supply so he can get the "full effect" in the future! I'm also gonna grab him a pair of slip on silicone tires for each car, as some of the original rubber rears are starting to dry out and spin loosely on those chrome wheels.

Hope everyone enjoyed the race. We'll see how this three stage thing works moving forward - the jury's still OUT on that one!
All in all, a fun Sunday with the guys. Enjoy! -- Ernie :>)
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Broman62 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:57 pm

Before it started I thought it would be so stupid but after the first segment and seeing how hard they drove to just get first segment points I thought, "Ok, this could turn out to be interesting"!! Second segment turned out pretty good and then the run to the finish was fantastic as my man Ryan Blaney blasted thru the middle to take second!! Anyway, as anything else, it will take time to get used to!!
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Racie35 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:41 am

You're all so happy and accepting ....they need to do the segment crap as soon as possible ..Boston marathon..Indy 500..Sebring..and so on...no changing sneakers either you limpy fools.
The only thing I can think of that needs to be cut into segments is pizza.
Racie35
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge