Photobucket users beware!

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

Photobucket users beware!

Postby TsgtRet » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:44 pm

I went into PB this morning and nailed with Zeus ransomware! I had to do a recovery on my computer; dump and reinstall Chrome. Also updated my ransomware security. I was lucky it only effected my browser.
Beware, I was just uploading photos when this happened.
TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Photobucket users beware!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:22 pm

Do not know anything about this issue.

But updating some review links on the new site, I noticed a great deal of dead photo links (photobucket.) So some reviews/tech tips are now gone because the photo links used are no longer valid.

Seems to me it is time to find a new service.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby RichD » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:36 pm

I just used Photobucket this morning, but I did not need to upload a picture. If I want to post a picture that is already in Photobucket I usually go to a database that has all of my links, so I only have to go to the site itself if I want to add pictures. I always make sure that my security software is up to date, but for now I will use Flickr if I want to upload a picture.
Photobucket has added a lot of advertising lately and I pay to make that go away.
I did notice that my picture did not come up for a while when I did the post, I just saw a red X right after I did the post, I had to refresh the page for the picture to show.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby walker » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:53 pm

Luckily I have copied my complete pb database this week because the increasing number of advertising, the low loading speed in both directions made me nervous.

Roland
walker
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:31 pm

Damn. This will push me over the edge. I use the freebie PB, and it has become more and more difficult to use with every pointless site modifcation. I've had it. Now I have to figure out how to migrate 1000s of jpg.s to some other site. Thanks, Sarge.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Audi1 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:32 pm

I used Photobucket this morning and it was OK. I have a very smart anti-malware program installed on my computer and when it takes time to open up a site; like it did this AM on Photobucket, I know it's working to protect my hard drive. No ill effects, still using Photobucket just fine. They are, however, clearly under constant cyber attack, for reasons that I don't know.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby CrockettNZ » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:17 pm

I gave up on photobucket awhile back
I use dropshots now
got to watch those links and only open ones that you know are from people you can trust
to much dodgy stuff are going around now
CrockettNZ
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ky.Slot Racer » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:19 am

Yes pb has been a scary place for some years now. Used to be the cats meow
, I don't even look at peoples pictures when I see they are hosted there.
Ky.Slot Racer
HRW Master Modeler

Postby frank9129 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:47 am

What is a safe way to retrieve you pictures ? I have a few there that were lost when I had a crash.
frank9129
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:56 am

The safe thing to do is to back up everything. I have a large external hard drive and I copy all of my files to that on a regular basis. I create a folder on the drive and copy into that. When you do that there will soon be a number of directories that contain the same files, so when I create a new directory I delete an old one. The external drive is not normally connected to my computer. I do a scan for malware before I copy anything. I do take a lot of pictures, from time to time I review those and delete at least some duplicate shots. I edit my pictures and the edited pictures are saved in albums. I never delete the original pictures. About once a year I copy the original pictures to DVD-ROMs.
Over the years a number of photo hosting sites have come and gone. NEVER use a photo hosting site as the only place that you store your pictures. You can use cloud storage to back up your pictures.
If your hard drive has crashed you may be able to have a service retrieve your pictures, but often they would be gone for good.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:07 am

I make use of website hosting sites .It is easy to turn a website into a personal photo hosting site. All pictures uploaded are also stored on my hard drive.

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby gsmea » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:07 am

Why not just use cloud services and make a specific folder public with only viewing rights.
Google has one that works a charm.
Gavin
gsmea
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge