[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Home Racing World • View topic - Track cleaners

Track cleaners

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

Track cleaners

Postby chappy » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:17 pm

Hi lads seeing the post of the new track cleaner thats out , got me to thinking , what do others use to clean their tracks. I remember the old zamboni style that used to run around and sweep the track, Oscar or something wasn't it. Then i found a really old one from the 60s that was custom made to actually drive around and clean the steel rails.
Im sure with the variety of tracks, plastic and wood there are different methods used.
So I'll star with the one i use on my wood track.
It is a Swiffer handle , swiffwr attached pf course, and an old Mercedes body on an Artin chassis pulling it around. The swiffwr handle has a hole in it, which is ecured to the trunk with a large head screw. This allows the swiffer nearlt 180 degrees of float.
I usually run 2 slow laps so the swiffwr cleans each lane, then follow with 2 or 3 medium laps where the swiffer slides to the sides and the gutters. Its amazinf at what it collects, any debris in the slot is kicked up by the cars guide and gathered in by the swiffer.
Here is a couple of pics. Lets see what everyone else uses.

Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Re: Track cleaners

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:49 pm

Bob, there seem to be 3 types. I have used all three at one time or another. The vacuum type, which are notoriously weak and can only keep the track clean by running them all the time, not just occasionally. I have considered a 30 volt version with lots of reduction gearing and a good vacuum, but I never got around to building it.

Then there is the dry duster type, using Swiffer or something like it, or a duster sprayed with Endust static generator. They work great when used by hand, and some, like yours, are well-made enough to be effective as a powered car on the track.

The third is by far the most common and most effective. Maddeningly simple, it is nothing more than wide pieces of masking tape stuck to the back of a car and trailing behind, sticky side down. I was showing off my converted Zamboni to some folks (LED lights all over it, and pulled by a matching color Fly truck), and my guest picked up the tape I keep handy for cleaning tires, stuck a couple of pieces on the back of it, and once around the track (where I had just cleaned!), showed how much I left behind. Hardest to swallow of all its excellent properties, this method is also fun. The faster you run the car, the more crap is kicked up by the drive wheels, and the tape catches it even better.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:54 pm

Done.

1. Billions of hours of research have shown this to be an outstanding product. In fact, some use it for other purposes. You can even roll tires across it to clean them as well.
2. Very cost effective. $2.00 and you have a 1 year supply or more depending on use.
3. It collects it ALL. There is no dirt particle or dust bunny safe from this method.
4. Even cleans the tops of the rails/braid.
5. No special attachments needed.
6. Available in a wide variety of colors and patterns to suit your taste.
7. Available globally and located in almost every retail store you walk into.
8. No residue or chemical left behind.

Happy Cleaning :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby ccobra » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:58 pm

A little Endust on the swifer pad and its all out at 70 mph to clean the track in two laps per lane. And it has a 14k HR motor with a double reduction and dualies on the rear.
but I've been toying with an idea to add a vacuum also.
ccobra
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mikeinclover » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:05 pm

I use a tack rag that is used for cleaning up sanding dust when working with polyurethane or even painted surface. I have tried a Swifter once but I have copper braid and it left a lot of of lint on the braid that as soon as I drove the car around the braid on the car was full of the lint. It only takes me about 10 minutes to clean my track. It's 130 feet and 5 lanes wide.
Mike
mikeinclover
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:34 pm

California Duster - been using it for years

dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby dw5555 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:58 am

Still use mine, of course being digital I just let it run by itself. Added more weight to the roller and it works fine now. This was my 1st track the new one has gutters and the roller slides out in the curves to get them too.

http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/porta ... bumid=2361

Dave
dw5555
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappyman66 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:34 am

Silicone roller.
Picks up everything just like the tires.
And just like tires it wipes clean so it's re useable. Leaves no residue anywhere.
Tires stay cleaner much longer.
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:45 am

Liking what i am seeing, lots of different and cool ideas.
Keep em coming guys, this is really interesting .
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge