[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Christmas Memories,my first plastic track

Christmas Memories,my first plastic track

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

Christmas Memories,my first plastic track

Postby ourwayband » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:16 pm

This time of the season we remember things that were special to us years ago.
The year was 1968,I was eight and this was my First race track..
I still find my self checking out the cars on the pegs when
we go shopping...
I know our slot cars are still toys,they just cost a little more ;)
Merry Christmas guys! :occasion-santa:
Last edited by ourwayband on Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Christmas Memories,my first plastic track

Postby Ky.Slot Racer » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:25 pm

1965 I was 7
Ky.Slot Racer
HRW Master Modeler

Postby ourwayband » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:28 pm

Those are some cool pictures!Great track and I like that cannon..

Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby gascarnut » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:12 pm

I don't have photos from back in the day, but for Christmas Day 2013, I managed to collect enough parts to make up this layout that my brother and I were given for Christmas in 1963:

It was the British VIP metal track, with two F1 cars:

My brother played for a while then went back to his piano, I am still playing 53 years later!
gascarnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Doubleshots » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:30 pm

Doubleshots

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:37 pm

Great memories. Mark, we had the exact same TV.

Had that set too Rusty.

No pics from my youth, the camera kept falling off the dinosaur. :roll:
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:07 pm

I was 14 in 1965, but in 1962 at 11 years old, I was the Christmas morning recipient of a Sterling Moss Figure 8 Aurora Thunderjet HO Speedway. It was a Red Fairlane and a Gray Falcon, and I ran them so long my folks finally demanded that I quit because I had been messing up the TV reception all day. I couldn't believe it was sundown already.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby chris » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:27 am

Christmas 1968 I was 14 and received the Airfix / MRRC Figure 8 F1 set. Came with a sharknose Ferrari and Cooper.

Dad and I ran 'em all Christmas Day, plunger style hand controllers got so hot we had to use fingers to hold them.

Cars were clamshell design and the motors started to melt into the chassis.

Always smells like Christmas to me whenever I get a whiff of an overheating motor or hand controller!

Chris.
chris
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:56 am

I got my first slot track as a Christmas present in 1962 (I think!), it was an A.C. Gilbert set with two Corvettes.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:14 am

For me it was a 132 Eldon set, and I remember it to this day as one of the very best presents I have ever received. It was an Eldon/Sears offering with Yellow corvette, White Lotus, Blue Porsche, Red Ferrari, and 2 White Nylon inline chassis. A very durable toy, that lasted for years, but more importantly, generated memories that will last my lifetime.

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby strangebrew » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:06 am

Got a Strombecker set in '60 I think. Put it up on the Ping Pong table in the basement. I seem to remember the chassis were some
kind of flexible plastic that the motor & guide snapped into. I think it came with a Testa Rosa & D-Type Jag.
strangebrew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby arroldn » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:55 pm

First set was in 1961 Eldon figure eight. I was 8 and my brother was 6. Progressed as the years passed to a Selectronic set. Also had the pit pass, and escape route track pieces. Oh and high banks for our NASCARs.

No pictures of that era unless I can dig through boxes at mom's and see if she has any.
arroldn
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby roba » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:47 pm

For me, it was 1959 and I still have that Scalextric GP set. Incredibly, the cars still run, thanks mainly to Paul Gage. The Grandsons and I are having a blast (pardon the 1959 pun)!!!
roba

Postby mattb » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:46 pm

P10110002.JPGProbably 64, Strom set and 2 Cox 1/32 FordGT's, could be 65, but I think 64. I traded my Ford GT at the local track for something else when i finally built a brass chassied Chaparral and did serious racing on the little track at that shop in 64, maybe 65. The strom set probably went in the garbage. It was pretty crappy. Their sets would have been fine when they would have had decent cars.

My first set was a battery powered Ungar (Eldon) set, may have had the red track, don't remember much about it. Second set was an Aurora vibe set with yellow Jag and red Mercedes?, not sure about the cars. Stayed with it for a couple years, got the DC conversion stuff for Tjets and ended up with the Strom which was only a test track for my 1/24 scratch built cars. I wonder today how all those cheap sets would have performed had they just put sticky tires on the cars, and enough weight for them to get traction. I'm sure Monogram sets were great out of the box. Ajets and Revell were probably pretty good, too.

Those were good years and as I get older I realize how hard my parents worked to give us those great holidays.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Czar » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:34 am

Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge