What was your favorite....

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

Re: What was your favorite....

Postby TsgtRet » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:10 pm

Mine kind of cover a number of years, my brother and I always got one of the neat Remco military toys: Whirleybird helicopter, Bulldog tank, B-52 tailgunner, Barracuda sub, Bazooka, Mortar, Johnny Reb cannon......you get the picture. I feel bad they would be considered unsafe and politically incorrect today. :roll:
TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby pastor bubba » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:26 pm

When I was in 2nd grade, my dad traded around 200 model car kits for a ho train table that was on display at a local hobby store. It had two tracks with working switches and electric lights throughout the town. It was a really cool table and had it until I got married.
pastor bubba
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:55 am

Back in the early '60s I got an AC Gilbert set with two Corvettes. As time went by I bought more track and cars. Later on I bought some bare chassis and put regular rear axles with crown gears in those. I used 1/43rd model kit bodies and one car had a Russkit 22 motor. It is too bad that I did not have a good camera at the time, it would have been nice to have pictures of the track and cars.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:08 am

Our yard included a one acre grassy field out back. Perfect for a go kart track. Our uncle gave us an old 3/4 midget chassis minus the bodywork. It was pretty cool. It had a transverse leaf spring suspension on front with radius rods to keep the axle lined up. My dad put a solid axle on the back powered by a 5 horse motor. We drove that thing for hundreds of miles before we replaced it with a more conventional kart. We and all of the neighborhood kids learned how to drive pretty well in that thing.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BIG E » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:29 pm

For me it has to be my first Aurora Model Motoring Thunderjet 500 set, Christmas 1963. I had already been racing Aurora "vibrator" type HO cars with some of my friends and had purchased a couple of the new Thunderjet 500 cars and Hop Up Kits during the 1963 year when they had become available. Myself and a few others in the neighborhood also had ELDON 1/32 sets and cars in 1962, but we all quickly gravitated to the newer "high performance" HO stuff in 1963.
My new Aurora set was the $24.95 model, a deluxe two laner including one tan and one grey steering wheel speed controllers, 0-120 mph dials with reverse switch and "brake", 20 volt "tan tin can" power supply, guardrail and bridge post set. The cars included were a standard (not olive) green '63 Buick Riviera and a red '63 Corvette Stingray "split window" coupe. I soon traded away all my model trains after that day! I have been trying to find the 8mm reel to reel home movies my Dad filmed of me running the set (on the former train table) later Christmas day. He says they are definitely still in the house, so with this re-organization project we're going through I hope that box of films turns up. There are lots of other cool childhood memories in that box, so converting it to DVD format is a must.
A close second place would have to be the REMCO "Shark" late 1950s design Indianapolis "U-Control" racer. Fully assembled at the factory, bright orange plastic body/chassis, 18 inches long, tires about 4 inches in diameter by 1 inch wide, with 4 "RayoVac" flashlight (1.5V D cell) batteries under the hood! That's the most fun I ever had without the car following a slot in the track! I now own two of them, one with original box and packaging.

Man, we had some cool stuff back then. A safe and happy holidays to all... Enjoy!! -- Ernie :>)
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bobbyraz49 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:17 am

WOW !!! The person that thought of this thread is a genius !!! Hint Hint !!!!!
bobbyraz49
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby kidvoltage » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:10 pm

Audi1 and the Fanner 50. An absolute classic. I fondly remember shooting many bad guys with mine. Favorite toy was either slot cars - there were a few sets - or my erector set. Spent many days just building stuff. I have many childhood memories of being told to pick the track up off the living room floor or of hearing various screws and nuts from the erector set getting picked up by the vacuum cleaner off the thick shag carpet. Had it been Joe Namath's 6-inch deep shag carpet there would have been no survivors.

My first Christmas slot car set ran off a large dry cell battery and the rails came in a separate container and had to be snapped into the track. It was awful, but the next year... Strombecker!
kidvoltage
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Half Fast Slotter » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:43 pm

Christmas of 1969 I wanted to be an astronaut like every other kid. I got one of the 4 foot tall model kits of the Saturn V that sent the Apollo astronauts to the moon that July. Didn't go to space, but lots of stuff I later worked on as an aerospace employee did. Just as fascinating today as it was then. Good memories. Thanks to all.
Half Fast Slotter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Flem1959 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:23 pm

My Dad got me a Strombecker set for Christmas in 1966.
Been at it ever since.

I also got a Schwinn Stingray a few years later and I'm still into bicycling.
Flem1959

Previous

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge