A question concerning getting older and working in our hobby

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

A question concerning getting older and working in our hobby

Postby TsgtRet » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:33 am

I know I'm not alone in this but I'm curious how others deal with it.
With age I am losing the ability to hold things steady in my left hand (I am right handed). When working on something small (painting figures, for instance) I find I have to brace my left against the tabletop to keep things steady and this doesn't always work. I have a "third hand" but it is awkward to use for some things. My Doc says there is nothing to be done and it's just something that comes with age. How do you folks deal with it?
TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: A question concerning getting older and working in our h

Postby dreinecke » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:10 am

Dave - I think the third arm is a good idea. I do know that I glue the figures to a nail so I can hold, spin or put that into a foam block.

I've had to get cheater glasses for the first time in my life and am not happy about that.

The good news is that there is still fun to be had without needing to do super fine detail work. The RTR cars look great and the larger items are stil fun to play with without worrying about the really little stuff.

Fun getting old I'm finding LOL!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby nhdungeonracer » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:16 am

I've had issues where my hands would shake while trying to work on cars.
In the morning, usually a cup of coffee calms me down enough. In the evening, a glass of wine really calms me down... :lol:

I also find the "third hand" to be clumsy at times. But if you work with it enough, you'll find there's little tricks that make it more useful.
I also find working with a self supported magnifying glass will help steady your hands. I can see much clearer, and not have to work so hard to "focus", which I believe helps me relax better while working on the project.
nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Postby strangebrew » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:28 am

I tape masking tape upside down to the bench & stick smaller pieces to it to paint.
I can often be found wearing TWO pairs of magnifying glasses at the same time..... :lol:
strangebrew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby scatman » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:54 am

Cheater glasses, and patience
scatman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:04 am

Using a magnifying visor helps me a lot, as does bracing my hands together on the table to paint small objects that are held by a 3rd hand or other device. Many people shake from a deficiency of B-12 or condition that prevents the body from getting B-12 from foods, but that's a more profound shake than I have. I spent many years working with my hands doing woodwork with hand tools, so my trouble is muscle tone, as age-related atrophy isn't even or consistent. My hands have a lot of arthritis in them, and that adds to the problem. I use power tools now, and that can also make you shake so you really can't win. The smallest brushes help, of course, but I went to a 30/0 brush a long time ago, so the shake kinda "caught up" with that.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby mattb » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:37 am

Double sided tape to hold drivers on popcicle sticks for painting, also other small pieces. I always brace both hands on work table, in a comfortable position. Even though I don't shake I still can't paint!
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Kemtronracer » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:56 am

I know a guy who suffered a stroke and is partially paralyzed; he figured out ways to work on his cars using special tools and jigs. I use a lighted magnifying glass to help me see the fine stuff when I'm doing detail work. My arthritis often keeps me from doing some things, so I've had to adapt; for example, I don't work with piano wire much anymore since my hands hurt too much to make bends and such. It also helps to find friends in the hobby to whom you can farm out certain tasks that are too difficult for you now.

JB
Kemtronracer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:01 pm

As i learned with shooting hand gun, a deep breath before stroking the trigger calms the shakes by infusing oxygen into,the muscle areas of the arms and hands.
I do the same when painting small things like figures.
Also alway work top down on strokes as the muscles are more accurate on a down stroke when relaxing than on annupstroke when energizing.
It works, along with my magnifying light and eye glasses.
Having a small plastic stick stuckmto,the bottommof the figures also helps with either holding it or sticking it into a plasticine or clay block.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby TsgtRet » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:51 pm

Thanks for the input! The lighted magnifier might be another help. Right now I use the small magnifier on the 3rd hand.....bigger and well lighted may be a big help! The "concentration" may be part of the problem. Let's see what Harbor Freight has to offer.
TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ming charlie » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:09 pm

I use a rice bag to hold the cars when I put in the chassis screws. It allows me to use both hands to put the screws in, one holding the screw and one on the magnetic screwdriver.
Charlie
ming charlie

Postby Broman62 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:31 pm

I agree with good cheaters...good magnifying light... patience and now a new "helper"...rice bag...that sounds like the cats A$$ in holding things in place and as a catch all with dropped screws or tiny parts!!! Steadying myself on the table top is a must for hand painting!!!
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:00 pm

I had a crazy bad problem with tiny parts falling toward me, off the table, and bouncing off me to the floor at impossible angles to trace. I wasted a crazy amount of time, searching with a light and magnet for tiny little screws and nuts, and especially washers. I made a little catch bin from sheet tin, which I clamp to the edge of the table right where these bits always get away, against my belly. It helps a lot. My back doesn't allow me to bend over far enough to get on hands and knees to get things from under the table. And no matter how much I am assured of her love for me... I hate calling my wife to the shop to find little bitty parts for me.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby dreinecke » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:22 pm

That's a great idea Rob, I may steal it as I've spent way too much time on my hands and knees.

I have a great mat that Cindy made me that works awesome for the cars that I'm working on and I also make sure I magnetize my screw drivers. WAY easier to work on the cars that way.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby TsgtRet » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:04 pm

The idea for the catch bin is great. I have a "pad" (old hospital cleaning towel) and that certainly helps too. I tend to avoid the "hands and knees" thing too....most parts that hit the garage floor are considered lost forever.
TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge