[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - *glub*

*glub*

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

*glub*

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:46 pm

Harry, did you and the MO Crew send this storm at us? Good grief! I live on a hill, but the flood watch people are calling me to give an estimate of rising water in my creek (which is 500 feet from my house, and I'm not going out in this crap to measure!). For one thing, I'd never make it back to the house up the hill. There are several animals in the house tonight, and more in the shop. This reminds me of hurricane days when I was a boy on the Gulf Coast. If I vanish from sight tonight, it will be because power goes out and its too awful out to go out and run the generator. Woof!
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Re: *glub*

Postby TsgtRet » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:48 pm

We got it too....our driveway goes downhill to the garage :scared-eek: I was out there putting towels along the bottom of the garage door and then was sweeping water when it let up (told the wife I didn't want the boxes in the garage to get wet....was actually protecting Peel Field :whistle: ).
TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:29 pm

Yep, that's the same storm. It has calmed a bit here, but it was fierce as hell not long ago. Like I say, I was reminded (not in a good way), of hurricane season when I was a boy on the Gulf Coast. Glad you got ahead of it! you saved Peel Field!

Right now, its just rain. I'm going to have some Jim Beam tonic for survival celebration to celebrate getting past it. We only lost power for about 3 minutes- a new record!
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:43 pm

Not me. Sorry to hear it. Had a bad soaker couple days ago but looking dry now.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Czar » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:57 am

The times they are a'changin'. Just a few hundred miles away, in Western North Carolina, we are officially in a drought with rainfall more than six inches below normal. No rain is predicted for the next week so it will only get worse for us. The weather isn't what it used to be - even though we were warned. And it's probably not going back to the way it was. It will just be one more mess we leave for our children and grandchildren to deal with.
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:23 pm

A lot of trees' roots were saturated and the trees fell over (very shallow roots around here, due to only 10 or so inches of topsoil over 40 feet of pure red clay. (for my garden few years back, I brought in 20 tons of topsoil fill, and mixed it with mulch from the woods after digging out a garden patch 2 feet deep) You could re-roof every building in Rome and Madrid with the clay under this area of several square miles. None of my trees near the house and outbuildings were harmed last night, but a couple of the big ones in the woods are down. The banks of the creek will have to be rebuilt, and I'm very glad I took the bridge down last Spring, because it would be 40 feet north this morning, and in pieces.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby chappy » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:39 pm

Rob Two weeks ago we had tornadoes touch down here, and loads of uprooted trees , but fortunately not much structural damage.
Today in the Leamington are not far off of where you are now near the Sarnoa Area thet got 100 mm of rain this morning, and another 50 this afternoon.
Yet we were like a desert from June to sept.
Stay safe brother.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby TsgtRet » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:36 pm

TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:50 pm

Woof!

Hey Bob, are you talking about Leamington, almost in Detroit/Windsor? And is that a typo for Sarnia? When I lived in London (1963-66), the only rain I remember was frozen, which I had never seen before, being from the Mississippi/Louisiana Gulf Coast. My folks took me to Sarnia once in winter, and I saw broken ice flows 4 feet thick, piled up like poker chips twenty feet high, that went 20 miles along the shore of the lake. Spectacular.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby dreinecke » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:28 pm

Wow Dave, that is nuts! Be safe!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby Abarth Mike » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:49 pm

In the tropics this is a frequent occurrence in the rainy season. The nearest bar is just out of site but on a rise. But to get there...

Keep dry!

Oh and I am fascinated by another example of "Two peoples separated by a common language"

In English "glub" is spelt and pronounced "glug"
Abarth Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:05 pm

In British, you mean... When referring to the width of a boat, its "abeam", related to "abaft" and "athwartship" but when sinking, its "aglub". When referring to a healthy swig of rum, we say "glug". Just to keep international relations in balance... and inebriated, of course. Cheers!
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Abarth Mike » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:47 pm

I was referring to

Definition of glub
plural -s
: a gurgling, bubbling, or gulping sound (as of water running down a drain) —often reduplicated <listened to the glub, glub, glub of the milk bottle as it sank below the surface of the pond> : an inarticulate strangled sound (as of someone attempting to speak while under water)

and

NOUN

informal
1A hollow gurgling sound or sounds as of liquid being poured from a bottle.
‘he sinks at once, making a sound like glug-glug as he goes down’
More example sentences
1.1An amount of liquid poured from a bottle.
‘a couple of good glugs of gin’

Which is what i will be doing later in said bar while watching F1

French call is Anglais, not Britanique. :P
Abarth Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge