[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - MONOGRAM 1/4 MIDGET RACER

MONOGRAM 1/4 MIDGET RACER

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

MONOGRAM 1/4 MIDGET RACER

Postby gonegonzo » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:36 am

Does anyone remember the Monogram 1/4 Midget kit from the 60's ???????????????

It was approx. 4'' long and I would say , 1/24th scale . Small because it was a 1/4 midget .

I think it was also offered as a slot car .

I'm looking for a source for these or sililar bodies . Can any one help ?

Thx
Gonzo
gonegonzo
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: MONOGRAM 1/4 MIDGET RACER

Postby sixtiesracer » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:58 pm

Go to the Big Donkey Resin Web-Site.Open the link for bodies.The Midget bodies are on the last page.One of them has the same driver leaning to the left like the old Monogram Slot Car.
sixtiesracer
The Rustinator

Postby Dangermouse » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:35 pm

Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: MONOGRAM MIDGET RACER

Postby Vintage 1/24 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:16 am

This is one of *the iconic* slot cars of the 60s. It was a model of a "full size" midget - I think it was often called 1/32 as it used the smaller chassis components - but the car model came in at 1/24 - AND, judging by the size of the large driver figure and a strict caliper measuring of the wheelbase, it was probably even larger.

MONOGRAM 110 OFFY MIDGET RACER –

Big Donkey offers an affordable resin cast, and also offers a different nose variation - and with a little fitting it works almost perfectly on the Sprints Plus chassis.
Vintage 1/24
Mr. NY Modified

Postby dreinecke » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:55 am

A friend of mine has done something like 75 of the 1/32 midgets. No, I'm not exaggerating. He sent me a pic, and I'll try posting it later today. I think he has Tiny Motors and someone else making parts for him. They are awesome!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby RazorJon » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:41 pm

a family friend had a midget racer when I was fresh off the tit, I would sit in that old wreck for hours, that was my first
taste into racing, that had to be over 40 years ago. I think I will do a few :banana-rock:
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby Dangermouse » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:23 pm

Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby hoofbeats66 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:36 pm

If your looking for a story on the Monogram Midget, check out my web site at http://www.tosaracewaypark.com. A history on how my Dad & I got started with the midgets, and what it looks like today. Been racing the 1/24 scale monogram midgets for over 35 years. I have a field of 45 cars.
Strombecker made a 1/32 midget. Thanks
hoofbeats66

Postby Dangermouse » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:14 pm

Thanks HB

I have a Strombecker midget - currently re-painting it as it was a bit beat up

cheers
DM
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby gonegonzo » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:41 pm

Thx for the replies . That is exactly the one I;m lookin for .

Thx Hoofbeats for the web site . Interesting

Gonzo
gonegonzo
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Florida_Slotter » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:35 pm

Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby Dangermouse » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:00 am

Yes they are nice kits

I have two of them - awaiting a chassis

cheers
DM
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby FootScoot » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:03 am

We had a class for those Monogram midgets back in the '60's. We raced them stock, with the only changes allowed were sponge tires in the rear, and repaints, although one fellow racer had modified his driver instead of having his hand on the brake, he had raised his left arm in the air, and modified the hand to give everyone the "bird" as it went around the track. Hilarious at the time. :lol:
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby Vintage 1/24 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:19 am

Vintage 1/24
Mr. NY Modified

Postby woodguy32 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:49 am

Hey ... I am still around.. Even tho this second Cancer battle and too much work limited me in playing with the slots..its been quite the battle and no time to finish up the big oval..

So .. I need to find wheels and tires for these midgets, what are you guys using.. I don't want the big fat donuts that most of these sprint plus and womps use. the tires are really not an issue because I will most likely cast my own.. so the big quest is skinny wheels that are in scaled to these wild things..

I have to say I am really excited about these .. plus I been a casting fool lately and making some pretty cool 1/24 vintage sprinter bodies.. got one mold made up with the strombecker 1/24 sprinter .. plus some homebrewed bodies I been carving out..

This is some of the earlier stuff. need to update some photos..

Oh.. And a 1/4 Midget is the smaller size that lucky kids raced.. .. LOL got a few, and you can throw them under your track..

Well hope someday to get back into the action... still check out the HRW racing scene.. it keeps me going.

You guys are the BEST

Thanks
Wood
woodguy32

Next

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge