[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Local auction Wednesday

Local auction Wednesday

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

Local auction Wednesday

Postby proxieken » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:51 pm

proxieken
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Local auction Wednesday

Postby TsgtRet » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:21 pm

I wouldn't mind that Thunderbird or the 64 "long roof".....of course that means I'd have to have some money to bid with :roll:
TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VenturaAlfa » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:44 pm

There are some interesting cars in there. Wish this was closer to me.

Ventura Alfa
VenturaAlfa
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:36 pm

waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby proxieken » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:50 pm

I decided to avoid temptation and not go. There are some odd things about this auction.

First off it is sort of in the middle of nowhere. That area has some Amish folks there and I would not be surprised to see some horse and buggies tied up.

Second, I think it is the estate of one person. Who seemed to have way too many toys.

And third, the advertising is not the best. Who uses the term- "nice hood" to describe a shaker hood set up on a Mustang?

I am really fighting the urge however, because I think there is a chance for some super deals. Why hold an auction like this on a Wednesday afternoon?
proxieken
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:31 pm

All things that tempted me, Ken. Also, why are so many of the items cleaned and some clearly untouched? And the backgrounds of the photos don't seem like the same place, although that kind of thing can be completely innocent. It just has an odd vibe to it, but could be overcome with a minimum of caution, I think.

I was recently told about a vast personal collection of aircraft in the weeds years after the old guy died, including at least three planes in pieces that may be the last survivors of their type. One, an early version of a colossaly huge bomber from the atomic age. My Karmann-Ghia was an ex-racecar that I found in a pasture with a sapling growing through the engine compartment.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby proxieken » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:05 pm

Auction is happening now. I have a friend there who is going to keep me posted on how things go. Based on some new info I do not think it is all one person's collection.

Already he has found a problem, the 70 Mustang is VIN code 02, so just a fastback and not a Mach 1. Someone made a clone, which is OK for me but collectors will likely shun it. Thank goodness I am not there with credit card in hand. :oops:

He is gunning for the station wagon, so will have to wait and see how it goes.
proxieken
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:22 pm

Smart guy. That explains the Windsor engine.
That wagon sticks in my head. Get that at a bargain you really have something, no matter how much fixup has to be done.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby proxieken » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:36 pm

The reports are that it was a waste of time. Reserves set at insane levels. Reserve on the wagon was $9500. Most of the cars were from that seller and he sold nothing and people went away frustrated. Cougar reserve was $13,000 and Mustang reserve was $22,000. Bidding got no where close.

The Corvette did sell for $7000, which is not bad to me. Different seller I guess. Mercedes got $1900. Some of the other cars sold cheap too, just the one seller was looking to get max dollar so those cars were no-go.

Tractors and trucks sold. My friend said the trucks went cheap. A boat sold for $50.
proxieken
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:49 pm

Clearly your friend is a good guy to have along on a treasure hunt like that. Thanks for telling us what happened.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge