Look, out on the track, it's a bird, it's a plane...

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

Look, out on the track, it's a bird, it's a plane...

Postby TsgtRet » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:00 pm

A little while back someone made a comment on the two 1/24 convertibles Harry posted on the oval forum that at least they looked like cars. That popped into my head when I saw Dave Kennedy's posted image of the Audi R18.....that (and other current bretheren) look more like Darth Vader's TIE Fighter than what we drive on a daily basis (actually the TIE fighter is less cluttered). Understand, I'm not knocking progress on the track, I guess I'm just getting older and nostalgic for the cars of my youth (even the ones I couldn't afford). Perhaps this is why there is such a huge following in the hobby for the "classics", "vintage NASCAR", etc. I wonder what our hobby will look like 10-15 years from now. In a PM with Jules he mentioned that he would eventually have to move beyond the "muscle car" era in order to appeal to the general market (as opposed to us OCD Slotters). It is starting to happen in the 1:1 collector car world too; cars like the Model T have lost some of their following (someone said the owners are scrounging in that big scrapyard in the sky) while interest in the "later" collector vehicles has risen.
Just my 2/100 of a dollar.
TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Look, out on the track, it's a bird, it's a plane...

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:53 pm

Great post. I think a lot of us feel that way.

Yes, we need modern as well as classic. I think companies like Carrera deliver a great balance. Pioneer will get there in time, but right now has great appeal.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: Look, out on the track, it's a bird, it's a plane...

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:55 pm

Oh look I totally agree....

....The Audi R18 is the most ugly, hideous LMP car I have ever laid eyes on...

...It sucks and I will never buy a model of one no matter how good the running gear on offer.

I thought the Peugeot 908 was hard to stomach when I first saw it, no way, its lovely in comparison to the R18.

Go back to the Group C cars, now there were some beautiful endurance racers....
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge