[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Racing without Slots

Racing without Slots

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

Racing without Slots

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:13 pm

I don't know how many of you have followed the mag steer car idea. There has been an ongoing discussion over on SCI for a couple of years. A guy in England has had some very interesting videos on You Tube showing a system he had built. Basically it utilizes 1/32 sized radio control cars that have a very weak radio controlled steering system coupled to a tiller with a magnet on it. A steel wire imbedded below the roadway surface steers the magnet tiller operating the ackerman steering in the car The RC steering servo is weaker than the mag steer so it cannot take over unless there is a break in the magnetic guide wire below the track. This allows the driver to shift the car to another line where ever there is a break in the wire. The cars are not as fast as slot cars but still plenty fast enough to spin out (oversteer) or push (understeer) if driven to hard into a corner. If your car goes into the weeds in a corner, the RC steering will allow you to drive back onto the track where it is picked up by mag steer.

Clearly this systems combines the best of both the digital slot racing and RC worlds. Cars can be driven on a scale sized track (not huge like a typical RC track), can change lanes, are driven much like slot cars with only throttle inputs needed unless lane changes are made or to drive back on the course if you shoot a corner into the weeds.

He now has taken his system to the commercial level and has just announced his new website store where he sells the cars and the controllers. The prices are great. A car and radio server lit sells for $117 plus $5.50 shipping from the UK. Added expense are two AAA lithium ion batteries for each car plus a charger. I would think that a charger plus a couple of spare batteries for each car would be in order.

I have lifted this pic from Wes' website I trust he doesn't mind since I am shilling his web store.

Here is a link to his website. http://www.magracing.co.uk/index.html

I am really high on this system and hope to convert one of my many slot tracks over to it.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Racing without Slots

Postby goosenapper » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:59 pm

This is neat, thanks for posting it. With the miniaturization of technology, I've often wondered why tiny RC cars haven't replaced at least some of the slot-car market. Adding steering to throttle control really ups the emersion factor. I could see this particular foray taking off at commercial tracks, but maybe not so much for the home racers. The cost is a huge turn-off, as is the need to set-aside space for this proprietary system, and then to completely fabricate the track. Certainly superior control would be welcomed, and I'm sure it's a blast, but I believe that most folks only have room in their house for one type of track. If I'm going to get rid of all of my other slot cars in order to run these, they better not only be a ton of fun to run, but look stunning as well. I'm sure the looks will come later, and I'd love to give these a whirl, but I'm not ready to jump in with both feet just yet.
goosenapper
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:41 pm

I dont see why an innovative slot racer couldn't imbed the magnetic guide wires under a wood slot car track for dual use. Since you don't have to bend over to reslot these cars, a fancy table wouldn't be as necessary I can see a modular track that could lay on the floor, a driveway or lawn for that matter. There are no electronics in the track to connect or corrode. There are only imbedded steel or iron guide wires that butt up so making modular design would be really easy. It could be set up as an oval or different road tracks by simply changing out road sections. They look to be vacuform so bodies could be easily changed which might allow a more limited number of chassis to be purchased allowing the owner to simply changing bodies for variety.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Vintage 1/24 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:15 am

Vintage 1/24
Mr. NY Modified

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:32 am

Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ChallengerGuy » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:31 pm

The way I look at it, if you bought say 4 (or more if you can afford it) cars and simply tucked them away for some future use, they are still a worthwhile investment. The price is not really much more than a $59.99 Slot.It car and these come with a controller and essentially require ZERO infrastructure on the track side (flat pieces of wood with some tiny piano wire glued on the surface...how hard is that?). That basically future proofs the technology without manufacturer support. This is quite an interesting development. But, at the end of the day, I love the massive torque and unrealistic speeds of slot cars on wooden tracks. And the satisfaction level of side by side CLOSE racing on a wooden track is a bit underplayed. Bottom line, very cool development.
ChallengerGuy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:48 pm

The cost for the car with transmitter is actually $115. A complete car by itself is $68. You don't need as many transmitters as cars but if you want to IROC some cars to your friends it will take at least as many transmitters as you plan to share. I ordered one car with transmitter yesterday and a couple of my slot car buddies each ordered one so we now have a three car field on the way. I expect to buy another car pretty soon so that I will always have at least a pair to run at home. We we as a group decided to go in on building a first track that we will keep at one of the other guys shop. I have two wood road tracks and an oval for slot cars here. I am going to convert one of my road tracks to run these mag steer cars. I'll probably just overlay the slot car track with some 1/4 inch plywood and build the mag steer track up from that. That way I will be able to use my existing landscaping, bridges and guard rails.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Wolseley Hornet » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:43 pm

Exciting project,Mike!

Looks a lot more realistic than digital lane changing.

My only concern is that the technology may not be suitable for very small prototypes, and open-wheelers.

David.
Wolseley Hornet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:09 pm

David you are right in that open wheelers are out of the question. I have ordered one car and two of my local slot racing buddies ordered one each as well. So we have a total of three coming. We are going in on a track that will be kept at Bill's scale model train factory. He has lots of plastic fabrication tools and skills so we have opportunities to play around with these cars. I will convert one of my road slot tracks, I have two, to this kind of racing.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:31 pm

My first car arrived on 12-7 and I have gotten the first close look at this mag steer thing. Thought I would share some pics with you folks as some of you have expressed interest. The car comes as a partially assembled kit. The chassis is fully assembled but it is up to the buyer to paint and decorate and mount the body. First up is the chassis. It is pretty simple without the frills most of us expect in the slot car world.

Here is the money end, Wes' magsteer system.
Top Side
Bottom Side

The steering is pretty much completely friction free in the passive mode which allows the magnet tiller type guide to operate the Ackerman steering system which steers the direction of the car as it follows a steel guide wire below the surface of the track. Here is a picture of the 0.28" music wire that I purchased from a musical instrument dealer on ebay.

The tie rod in the steering has two small button magnets attached to it with a "steering coil" mounted to the chassis in close proximity. I am a bit fuzzy on the details but the best thing that I can come up with is this. When the RC steering is activated, a magnetic field is switched on in the steering coil that either attracts or repels the magnets on the tie rod which steers the front wheels right or left depending on the chosen input. The RC steering is weaker than the tiller guide's attraction to the wire in the track which means the RC steering is subservient to the wire.

I received payment from the sale of some slot cars I never use so I put in an order for another magsteer car last night.
AS soon as I get a shipment of posterboard that I ordered, I will be ready to begin my first track. Meanwhile here is a video of one of these cars doing a 360* and proceeding on down the track. I am sure the guy had to pit to change out some flat spotted tires but at least he kept her off of the wall!
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Vintage 1/24 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:19 am

NorCal-

What do they weigh (with and w/o batteries)?

I posted on the oval track thread before seeing your latest post here - so disregard that I guess.

What about tires/wheels/axles/motors/gears? Is there a lot of "crossover" or "parts sharing" from the 1/32nd slot car world?

Will you do a super simple track building test first - like on a piece of old plywood before you go "all in" - converting your detailed road course?

Keep the pictures and info coming!
Vintage 1/24
Mr. NY Modified

Postby ourwayband » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:42 pm

Thanks for the pictures .Keep us informed on your track and how these run.I've been interested in these from day one.A oval would be fun with these,no slow lane..

Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge