Thanksgiving Tradition

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

Thanksgiving Tradition

Postby dreinecke » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:28 pm

Every year my family rotates who's home we do Thanksgiving and Christmas at. This year we went to my sister's in Denver.

When we go anywhere else, we get our own turkey and do our own complete meal another day. Why? Cause I want leftovers!!! I think I could do Thanksgiving once a month and never get tired of it. Really. Anyway, today is that day. The house smells good enough to eat.

Our other tradition is putting up all the lights and the tree the weekend of Thanksgiving, so the one-armed-man went out and completed the mission today. It was 65 degrees and I was in short sleeves. That's just wrong! No snow in the forecast either... :(

My son has a tradition around the tree - he puts up his Disney monorails. He got these when he was very young and has enough track and accessories to make a huge layout. So, we've had fun setting that up and letting them run (he has 2 full monorail trains). Both have LED headlights and actually announce when they are pulling into an accessory like a hotel or ride. Very cool toy. Of course the living room is now too small...

So, while you are all sick of left-overs, I'm about to dig in! Woohoo!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Re: Thanksgiving Tradition

Postby Reslotted » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:43 am

Sounds Pretty good Dave.
We dont have a thanksgiving holiday here in Oz.
But it's been a pretty good weekend anyway, a kind of Psuedo thanksgiving.
Had Dinner at my sons last night, youngest son is happy watching the cricket, Wife is happy watching a Sandra Bullock marathon and I'm playing around with little cars.
Can't be more thankful than for the little things, thats what really matters.
Like Leftovers !!! :banana-rock:
Reslotted
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HRWJim » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:22 am

David I am with you on leftover turkey, you can never have enough. Jim
HRWJim
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RazorJon » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:56 am

Try turkey burritos, and of coarse my favorite turkey salad.
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby dreinecke » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:09 pm

I'll put turkey in just about anything. Can't wait for dinner again!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:22 pm

Add my name to the list. Some of my relatives used to complain about being tired of turkey, etc. I only understood many years later when I realised that my mother and I are the only ones in the family that have a feel for cooking. Some of the things that were done with leftover turkey were just dumb. My mother and I always run out of turkey long before we run out of ideas.

But my favorite is probably the strangest leftover idea in existence. I urge you to try it if you have some old fashioned country dressing leftovers (stuffing will not do, don't try it). I cut a slab of cold dressing, slather some bread with mayo (not salad dressing, Miracle goop or any other pretenders), and put the dressin on the mayo, followed by a slab of jellied cranberry. Slather up another piece of bread and eat this bizarre combination like a sandwich. For a change, add turkey, what the heck?
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby HRWJim » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:06 pm

I do turkey and cranberry but have not tried dressing on it. Maybe next time. Jim
HRWJim
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby FootScoot » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:03 pm

I'm with you Rob. Nothing beats a mayo, cranberry sauce, and dressing sandwich. Absolutely yummy. I make fresh bread dressing. Real simple fresh bread, eggs, saute'd celery, onion, salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning. :mrgreen:
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge