car polish

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

car polish

Postby Czar » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:53 pm

For years I have used Zymol to wax my cars, including the wee machines. I have no complaints about Zymol but I was wondering what others use.
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: car polish

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:09 pm

Meguiars Gold Class for both.

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby RichD » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:39 am

The cars that I have painted myself all get a finish coat of Future. Automotive waxes often contain some abrasive that will remove a little paint if you need to apply it often. Future is actually not a wax, it was developed as a finish for vinyl flooring. What you might use to finish a car would partly depend on how it would be handled. A car that is intended mostly for static display might be a different case from one that will be raced a lot.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Jesla » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:46 am

I'm more of leave it alone.... '70's and below always look odd, to me, if they are too shiny/prefect...
At my track Shelf Queens are just that and the other 95% of my cars are racers/drivers, with all the
imperfections that entails.

....I'm also to lazy to wax cars 1:1 or slots. :auto-layrubber:
Jesla
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby tin_indians » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:29 am

I used a clay bar and rubbing compound on my 1:1 '65 Catalina once. Just the hood, roof and trunk lid....by hand. Never again. Took 2 days at about 3 hours each day. My frikken shoulders and arms were dead after that.
tin_indians
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Czar » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:11 am

Interesting that this thread should be revived. Yesterday I was thinking of bringing it back up to comment on Harry's recommendation to use McGuiar's. I had been using Zymol for almost 25 years. But that was then, this is now! I am really impressed with the McGuiar's polish. It goes on easily and comes off without too much effort. The shine is really excellent and seems quite durable.. I am also very impressed with the way it works on the toy cars. It is as smooth as Yak butter, which is much smoother than Emu butter or Otter oil. Thanks for the tip Harry.
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:56 am

Wow, yes you are welcome. Glad you found it worthwhile.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby arroldn » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:00 am

I used Meguiar's polish on this Cuda just the other day. Both cars had been raced in the Pony Car Wars. A little polish goes a long way to improving the looks of this car. The #42 also had roof scratches and had a dull look to it. I find the polish a lot easier to use than wax. I was using Mother's wax years ago.

Arrold
arroldn
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby model murdering » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:26 pm

Top secret. (I think it sez this in the instructions) :doh:

Zymol is one of the best high end waxes available. It can be a bit trickey to get down and rubbed off, especially if it's a bit warm or muggy out. It's very thick and will clod up if your greedy or sloppy with it. To get a proper "haze", thats easy to rub off; I use a bit of warm water in a small container to thin it, and rinse in between sections in a full bucket of water. The shine is just as good as ever and it keeps the Karate Kid syndrome to a minimum. (wax on wax off). This way you conserve your sweat equity as well as stretching the bottle into the years. Zymol isnt cheap. Most of what you apply gets duffed off as waste anyway.

Mother's

Zymol is not not my first choice for scale models or general use, though. I prefer a lighter product like Mothers or MeGuiars that cuts off easy with a flick of the linen, and a minimum of effort. They are never going to see weather or pounding UV. Sometimes less is more.
model murdering
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge