[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Future / Pledge clear coat

Future / Pledge clear coat

Custom Paint Job Showcase
From Decals To Painting Techniques - We Have You Covered!

Future / Pledge clear coat

Postby buspor63 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:37 pm

What is the best way to apply, dip, brush or spray? Is there a tutorial somewhere? Looking forward to my first attempt but hoping to avoid a mess.

I'm using Pattosplace new silk ink peel and stick decals. They look awesome and work well.
buspor63
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Future / Pledge clear coat

Postby moparjenny » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:26 pm

What Jeremy said. lol
moparjenny
Cupcakes

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:36 pm

Ditto.

While it dries, keep checking for drips on the bottom edges.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby dreinecke » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:15 pm

dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby buspor63 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:04 pm

Thanks for the tips, going to give it a try over the next few days. If it looks good, I may just post a picture.
buspor63
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:41 pm

I used an air brush to do it a few times when I wanted thin coats. Works fine, and you get a shiner finish when you want it. I use an artists brush to stroke it on for most projects. I have heard of people dipping entire bodies, but that is a huge waste, and its getting hard to find the stuff these days. BTW, NEVER put your leftover Future back in the bottle. That's what makes it yellow and go bad faster than anything. Also, never let anything with any ammonia near it while its drying.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby moparjenny » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:26 pm

moparjenny
Cupcakes

Postby moparjenny » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:28 pm

moparjenny
Cupcakes

Postby RichD » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:36 am

In stores "Pledge with Future Shine!" is usually located on a bottom shelf where it is easy to miss. If you are going to race the car Future by itself will not protect the decals for long. I put Future over decals before I coat with a solvent based clear like DupliColor automotive finish. If you spray a solvent based clear directly on decals chances are that they will be damaged. After the clearcoat has dried I top off with Future for extra shine. If a car starts to look dingy I wash it with soapy water and give it a fresh coat of Future. Sometimes a really "hot" clear will cause a paint job to orange peel. It is safer to coat the paint with Future and put your clear over that.
Last edited by RichD on Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:59 pm

Around here, no one carries it at all. I get it from Amazon a few bottles at a time. The problem is that there are fewer and fewer floors that need the product. In my house, there is not one floor to use it on.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:19 pm

Oh, that stuff is for floors?

Nice to know, thanks.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:51 pm

You guys break me up.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby RichD » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:33 am

Sometimes Future causes white paint to yellow. Since I am working on a project where the car will be painted white and green I decided that I needed to do a test before I did the actual paint job. I shot a heavy coat of Testors white on a jewel case and let that dry for 6 hours. I then brushed a coat of Future over half of the white so any yellowing would be obvious. After standing overnight there was no yellowing.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby cagee13 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:08 am

The cars I've cleared with future that have yellowed happened within a week but I have found a fresh bottle will normally not turn it if there are no heavy future build up in the corners
cagee13
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby goosenapper » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:36 am

Does it make a difference if you use the Pledge with Future that is made for tiles instead of the one made for wood? Is there is any chemical difference between the two that relates to how we use it, or is it just brand marketing?
goosenapper
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to The Paint Booth