[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Painting 101

Painting 101

Custom Paint Job Showcase
From Decals To Painting Techniques - We Have You Covered!

Re: Painting 101

Postby Ember » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:16 pm

I'd go for a quick clear coat before applying mask. I usually try to do that with the Tamiya sprays, but get over-enthused and forget.

I've got three cars in primer ready for an attempt with this method. Just waiting for the wind to drop.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby Ember » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:02 pm

Woohoo... Having success now that I'm finally thinning it enough. Results to follow later.

Yet another question on clears though...

Does one thin clear to the same degree as colour?
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:10 pm

I am pretty skiddish on trying new techniques. Not sure why because the ones I use are not that great :)

The Coupe Dave just did is here for a fun run.

This car looks soaking wet. What a layer of clear he has done. I will get pics tomorrow, but the ones you see from him pretty much say it all.

I still used my old methods for my latest build...but time was an issue. I have the trim gun and compressor ready and the next car I do will use this method.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Ember » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:25 am

So.... Here's today's effort.

The Porsche is done in a clear blue over black primer. It has had it's second coat of Tamiya clear. I intend to give it at least one more coat, but the can was empty. The three Jags are all colours that I've mixed to match Primrose Yellow, Ice Blue and the Celadon green is supposed to be reminiscent of Innes Ireland's Ferrari 250GTO for a friend. The silver blue will possibly be two tone again.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Postby Wolseley Hornet » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:12 pm

Glorious- looking Jags,Ember.

They never looked that good coming out of Coventry.

But then you probably didn't leave them out in the rain before painting them!

David.
Wolseley Hornet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby MoparGreg » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:55 pm

You guys are making me want to get a airbrush. Can anyone recommend a decent airbrush & compressor?
MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ember » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:57 pm

Greg, I'm usually a fan of buying quality. But in this instance I've just used a cheap single action external mix brush that I got from eBay for A$20ish. Next day delivery from somewhere up your way. I do have a good dual action Paasche that I've had for ages, but I got fed up with cleaning it when I was doing a lot of things at once. I'll use the Paasche for detail work when I'm more comfortable with the whole concept.

The compressor I'm using is a small unit I bought from Airbrush Warehouse. His Lordship's son is doing an airbrush course, so we bought him a bigger compressor suitable for driving a few airbrushes, but mine is just a little single unit that cost me about $150. I was using a larger compressor with a big tank, but it scared the daylights out of me each time it cut back in to refill the tank. The small unit is light and portable and the best thing... Quiet.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Postby Ember » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:59 pm

A quicky shot of the Porsche in the sunlight to give an idea of the depth of colour.
Now sanded down ready for another coat of clear.

And once again on the subject of clear. Small cans of Tamiya spray are now A$13 here in town. Ouch! So, I think I'll be searching for an automotive clear that I can buy by the litre and spray through a touch up gun. Any advice on finding a good one would be appreciated.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Postby Ember » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:35 pm

Thanks Dave. Any problems with shipping and 'dangerous goods'?
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Postby Wolseley Hornet » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:36 pm

David, I'm sorry to be so slow on the uptake as to be resurrecting this thread two months after the event! :doh:

With Christmas approaching, I was thinking of asking Father Christmas for a simple but good airbrush for painting cars.

But after reading your terrific tutorial, am I right in thinking that for this purpose,a small touch-up spray gun is a better bet? There are lots of these on UK E-Bay for £20-30. Now you don't get a quality airbrush for that money.

Granted it would be necessary to buy a compressor - but that would be the case with an airbrush, anyway, unless you wanted to spend the savings on rattle cans on canisters of compressed air.

Also, how small do the cans go for these spray guns? I can't imagine wanting to mix up more than 125ml at a time for painting slot cars.

Your advice would be really welcome.

David.
Wolseley Hornet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Wolseley Hornet » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:12 am

Thanks for the advice, David.

One more thing. Nozzle size. some are offered with 0.8mm, some 1.0mm.

Which do you think?

David.
Wolseley Hornet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Wolseley Hornet » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:46 am

Thanks, David.

I'm looking at one made by "Bergen".

That'll be the Guang Dong Bergens, rather than the Stockholm Bergens, I expect.

David.
Wolseley Hornet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Derby City Speedway » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:06 am

Derby City Speedway
Derby City King

Postby Derby City Speedway » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:14 am

thank you sir, on my way to the HF
Derby City Speedway
Derby City King

Postby TuscoTodd » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:44 am

Good to know Dave! Thanks for the review! :)
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

PreviousNext

Return to The Paint Booth