[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Painting 101

Painting 101

Custom Paint Job Showcase
From Decals To Painting Techniques - We Have You Covered!

Re: Painting 101

Postby RazorJon » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:23 am

RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby RazorJon » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:41 am

Its just those cans are so easy to clean :oops:
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby RazorJon » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:56 am

that's a fine tip you made :dance:

sorry just had to jump on that

great stuff Dave

I for 1 need all the help I can get !
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby Beast Lee » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:56 am

Great piece Dave, and I love the pen tip...!!!
Beast Lee
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Beast Lee » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:01 pm

Beast Lee
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:20 pm

This is going to be good. I look forward to the rest of this. I still have an older HVLP touchup gun I used for furniture lacquering that might do the job. I also have dozens of those little paints from my wife's old hobby phases over the years. There's a metallic red that has had me thinking for quite a while. I already use them to paint drivers and such. I think almost all of mine are flat finishes, though, and some are glazes.

Also, are those pens less liable to dissolving in fairly "hot" paint? Sharpies will really make a mess, I found out years ago- the hard way.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:30 pm

This is going fast. I like it.

And I have the trim gun, so time to learn about it.

Great "tips" so far.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Beast Lee » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:33 pm

Beast Lee
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby whitworthnut » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:02 pm

Excellent tutorial Dave and greatly appreciated. I'm going to have to try a gun one of these days. Been avoiding it because I don't want to deal with the clean up. I've had reasonable success with spray cans at this point, following essentially your method. Prep is everything of course. Then I heat up my cans and apply a few light top coats and a heavier one.
whitworthnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ember » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:58 pm

Always a relief to see mishaps happen to the experts too.

Damn... I just shelled for a cheap single action external mix airbrush cos I was tired of cleaning my Paasche. I wish you'd written this last week.

I have discovered that I would rather paint with flat finish colour than gloss. Easier to get a good finish on. But at the moment metallics are biting my butt. Using Vallejo paints for the first time and they don't cure to a hard finish but remain a soft vinyl type surface. Don't think I'll use them again. But, I am really surprised to see what paints you are using. The formulation would be about the same as the Vallejo I expect.

I have many questions on clear coats. I tend to just use a can because I don't feel comfortable thinning a clear to spray.

Thank you for taking the time to do this Dave.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:35 pm

I have only done a few things 1:1, like boats, cars and cycles, and not many of them, but I have been painting models what seems like forever, and I have never seen anything remotely like that problem. What in the world happened, do you think? Its like giant orange peel or something.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:15 pm

Yes, they happen and appreciate the fact you posted it. Now we will see your method for fixing it.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:26 pm

I really do hope it isn't from your hands. I have done that one before, lacquering a brass chandelier for a customer. It was beautiful after the last coat of lacquer, and I cleaned everything up and went home. The next morning, it looked like it had been splattered with beef bullion, all fingermarks from when I was calling myself degreasing before shooting lacquer. All that work. That really stung.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby 2FER SLOTS » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:23 am

This is great learning from you. :D

Are you open for questions now,or should I wait 'til the end of the lesson?

Oooops I guess that was a question :geek:
2FER SLOTS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ListerStormGT » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:27 am

Darn you Dave! I was happy with my rattle cans but now I want to try this method. Thanks for taking the time to do this as its very helpful, When you Jon and I were talking the other night I was going to mention about you doing a how to for this. Good stuff!
ListerStormGT
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to The Paint Booth