[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - After all these years...

After all these years...

Custom Paint Job Showcase
From Decals To Painting Techniques - We Have You Covered!

After all these years...

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:21 pm

waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Re: After all these years...

Postby Half Fast Slotter » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:51 pm

I too have found that many metallics seem to be thicker paint than satins or flats. Especially the Pactra and Testors brands. Tamiya seems to be able to spray a thinner coat. The worst for me is Rustoleum because it tends to krinkle waaaay too often. Have never experienced any of the above as an end of the can phenomena, but I will be cautious no.
Thanks for sharing.
Jeff
Half Fast Slotter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:36 am

They do come out a little thicker. I always remove the tape as soon as I can, so as not allow the edges to dry. This helps prevent the paint edges from "tearing".

But with paints like silver, I'm almost never fast enough it dries so quickly.

Might be time to break out the Ye Olde Airbrush?
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby BARC 1 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:46 am

A light wet sanding using 1000 grit sandpaper, may fix the issue you have. How it became an issue, may not be so easy to determine. Using rattle cans of any kind can add a degree of risk to a paint job. Age of the can,how it was stored, how it was shaken, temperature, nozzle type etc all add to the degree of uncertainty of the spray coming out. My worst disasters in painting have all come from a rattle can. Nothing worse then a can of flat black being mistaken for clear coat. Turned a pinstriped CNR locomotive into a stealth engine in a heartbeat.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chrisguyw » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:20 pm

Hello Waay........Metallics are "thicker" than non metallic paint, but, of the Metallics (in spray cans), Tamiya is the thinnest of the bunch, and obviously specifically formulated for plastic models,....so,....as far as brand choice, you can't beat Tamiya.

I have found (over the years) that mist coats of Metallic (with 45min. between coats) work far better than 1 or two wet coats, particularly when using masks that must be removed, but, I am sure you already do this.......and even more importantly, when the can is less than full, it is critical that the can be heated in some hot tap water to re pressurize the can. Most of what comes out of a can of spray paint is propellent, and when the levels of propellent are reduced, the pressure drops, and, the paint is not properly "atomized" as it leaves the nozzle,.coming out "thicker" than normal.......so...if you are not already doing this,.....heat that can !!

Cheers
Chris Walker
chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:01 pm

With all the tools and stuff on my bench, I decided not to heat the cans this time. I have an ancient Mr. Coffee (bought when Joltin' Joe DiMaggio was still alive to do TV ads). I use it to heat water for my rattle cans when painting small jobs. I don't get the whole air brush rig out for single jobs usually. This particular time, I was almost out of my best silver (Silver Leaf), so I tried several other silvers, but decided that the Silver Leaf was best for this, and took the chance that there was enough left to try it. The Light Green Pearl went on perfectly, and it never occurred to me that the silver wouldn't follow suit. So, unheated, I sprayed it, and it came out thicker than I would have seen. When I unmasked, there was a tear in the silver like I have never had, and as I was handling it, the front deck (soft, but fully dry), got to be the ugly mess you saw in the photos. Today I saw my thumbprint on there, too. I don't know what I'll do about this, but it feels a lot better to have the mystery solved. Chris, you saved the day. Now I have to figure out what to do.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby tjettom » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:24 pm

I always test spray on junk cd's...
tjettom
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chrisguyw » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:47 am

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:00 pm

Painting is sometimes so easy and sometimes so hard!
Spray Booth: There are some nice units on ebay for around $80 or so. I finally bit the bullet and just made one up with a plastic storage box, small fan and a furnace filter. You can see it on Rod Toddhunters online slot mag, page 99.
http://slotcarmods.com/summer2016.html.
I'm sure all you guys subscribe to his effort.
P1010003.JPG
P1010004.JPG

Paint. I use nothing but lacquer, I've given up all enamels. Tamiya and Testors are the best. I do use Duplicolor white, black and candy lacquers. They offer candy colored lacquers in their suspension paint. Their depth and shade depends on how many coats and what color base coat you use. Here is red over a silver base.

P1010001 (4).JPG

Chris pointed out that a coat of clear in between colors will stop any bleeding under tape. I usually remove tape after 10 minutes or so.

I do wash with dish detergent before painting and I use cheap soap that has no kind of additives, just plain dish soap. Sometimes I also use an SOS pad. Of course, I sand everything after washing. Usually I do alright, but sometimes I end up throwing the whole body in stripper and starting over. It happens.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:20 pm

I know what you mean. I never would have thought that there was something basic I didn't know about painting, but there it is. I never would have thought about the pressure in a rattle can that was almost out being too low to atomize the paint. Basic, like I say, but it never occurred to me. I guess I have been lucky all these years in this situation because I always use my little hot water bath setup mentioned above. The lesson is,- "Don't mess with a formula that works". Especially if your excuse it something like "too many tools on the table to clear off".
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby model murdering » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:41 pm

The biggest invitation to disaster is applying too much liquid film, especially on base color passes. Frequently the accent pass is laid on a base that is still active. I'm not a big fan of pushing recoat times. Any "two tone", or an added effect is a re-coat in my book as well. Even if you think your safe in brand. The accent pass can interact with a base that is still receptive to volatiles.

I know the airbrush can be annoying for some, but in order to remove the "bomb can variables" from the equation, I decant EVERYTHING and use the DA. Unless I'm doing an open wet on wet metallic effect, I prefer that every "stage" has had plenty of time to dry before I lay up next to it, or on it.

Like Chris points out, fog a few calculated easy puffs of clear to seal any vulnerable open edge BEFORE proceeding with any transitions that are to follow.

The long and the short of it is that I dont bang out a paint job in one afternoon, I dont expect to. I always get the best results when I walk away and let things fully gas off, and come back another day.
model murdering
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:05 pm

I actually razor cut my masking tape, then pull it. Also, the angle at which you pull the tape is extremely important.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby mattb » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:46 pm

On most all the candy colors I do, I usually do the whole job in 20-30 minutes, base, color and including clear coats. On more than 2 colors where I have to mask fresh paint, I like to let it dry overnite at least before I apply the next masking. The quick drying is one advantage of lacquer. Plus a hair dryer helps it dry quicker.

These are the Dupicolor candy paints.
010.JPG
Lacquer, this one did take 2-3 days
57 chevy.JPG
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Paint Booth