Rough Rider II degreaser - great for paint stripping!

Custom Paint Job Showcase
From Decals To Painting Techniques - We Have You Covered!

Rough Rider II degreaser - great for paint stripping!

Postby VTECFOUR » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:57 pm

My stripping of an old AMT McLaren Elva body with soaking in 99% isopropynol alcohol for 24 hours was a complete failure. Started sanding in frustration but knew the little crevices and details would never be cleaned well.

Mentioned this at my weekly Model Building Night get-together and was was lent Rough Rider II degreaser by Maxim. One of the guys uses it at work on marine ships and swears by it as a paint stripper for models.

After six hours submerged in a small sealed container, the paint came off with a light toothbrush scrubbing.

There was negligible residue in the bath so I recycled and poured the degreaser back in the container.

I'm impressed and will be using Rough Rider from now on for paint stripping.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Rough Rider II degreaser - great for paint stripping!

Postby mattb » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:18 pm

Dan, I use Castrol Superclean. It does a great job and I have it in a gallon glass bottle and use it over and over. It doesn't hurt the plastic at all, but removes chrome pretty quick. It also peels your skin if you don't keep it rinsed off or use plastic gloves. I have found a battery powered toothbrush works pretty good to clean the corners and other places where paint residue is hard to get off.

Superclean is available at auto stores and Walmart. I have also used a household cleaner called Mean/Simple Green that came from Krogers. I've also heard guys use 409 cleaner and oven cleaner(good but very toxic).
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby crossovercrazy » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:45 pm

Thank you for the tip on the Maxim product. Where do you recommend ordering it in the States - I couldn't find any source online.
crossovercrazy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:32 pm

Noticed that the label makes a Canada reference so wondering if it's only available up north here. Was borrowed so not sure where it was bought. The product info makes a boat reference so those suppliers should be looked into.

An online search shows some Canadian retailers, but the price looks high compared to the readily available Super Clean.

In the end, it works.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby crossovercrazy » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:57 pm

Thank you for the reply.
crossovercrazy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Paint Booth