Removing Slot.it decals?

Custom Paint Job Showcase
From Decals To Painting Techniques - We Have You Covered!

Removing Slot.it decals?

Postby Mickey thumbs » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:57 pm

Does anyone have experience removing Slot.it decals with cellophane tape as mentioned in the Professor Motor listing for the Silk Cut Jag? Would love to see the original livery instead of the EU mandated cover-up.
Mickey thumbs

Re: Removing Slot.it decals?

Postby Z-carfan » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:24 pm

I just did that with a Rothmans Porsche 962.
It is literally place the tape on it, I rubbed with my fingernail to make sure I got it and it pulled right off.
Easy as can be.
In fact,i took pics and think I left a review recently in the review forum.

Link here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=20547
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Mickey thumbs » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:57 pm

Thanks. I remembered the post but overlooked the decal removal pic. Can’t wait to try it. BTW, my recently acquired Rothman’s didn’t come covered with the generics and I, too, love the car.
Mickey thumbs

Postby Mickey thumbs » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:00 pm

Oops! Too painful to post pics. One side OK, the other lost the lower 1/4 of the logo. Wing pitiful. Used gentle pressure, blue tape then tried cellophane per PM rec. after blue took off paint. So be careful, ya’ll. Looks like I’ll be making Silk Cut decals unless someone knows where I can buy some.
Mickey thumbs

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:32 pm

Mickey, take a look at Pattos Place. Every time I go shopping there, I find decals for a car I want to build.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/pattosplace/home.html

As to what happened to your car, I suspect that the time that has passed since the car was brand new may have something to do with your situation. The method you used is what I have used for years, but I do it as soon as it comes out of the box.

I hate people telling me what I can put on a car, and when the authentic signage is covered up for no better reason than some twit I don't know claims offense... let him be offended. I hope it burns him good. Serves him right for trying to dictatorially make the world suit his own taste.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Mickey thumbs » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:54 pm

Thanks. I suspect age of car played a role- I seem to be cleaning out my store’s NOS. I’ll try Pattos’ again, but I had trouble navigating last time I browsed.
Mickey thumbs

Postby Z-carfan » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:57 pm

That is a bummer to hear Mickey. My car was new old stock I picked up off of eBay. Wonder when. Your Jag was built?
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Mickey thumbs » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:29 pm

It’s one of the LeMans winner series cars. Unsure of year it was made. Also does anyone know what material the extra tires supplied are made of?
Mickey thumbs

Postby Falcons707 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:07 am

I believe all the extra tires that came with the older Slot it cars are silicone.
Falcons707

Postby Mickey thumbs » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:41 pm

Thanks, that’s what I guessed. Makes sense as slot.it makes silicone and rubber but not urethane.
Mickey thumbs

Postby Mickey thumbs » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:06 pm

:banana-dance: Hoorah! Turns out the old decals were very dry and coming off in flakes and I wasn’t damaging the underlying paint. With more magnification and lots of time, Scotch tape and care I was able to uncover the Silk Cut livery.
However, put it on the track and nothing. Dead short per power supply readings. Finally found crossed wires from the guide brushes between the flag and the chassis not visible from front or top. A little work with a #11blade and all is well.
Anyone else ever have a car that seems jinxed from the get-go?
Thanks for all the helpful tips and support.
Mickey thumbs

Return to The Paint Booth