[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Home Racing World • View topic - Stripping The Monte

Stripping The Monte

Custom Paint Job Showcase
From Decals To Painting Techniques - We Have You Covered!

Stripping The Monte

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:33 am

After removing the chassis and snapping out the interior, the glass is next. There are two spots where some light adhesive has been used. I just use a small flat tip screwdrivers and pry gently up.

Everyone has different methods for stripping.

I use %91 Alcohol. It is easy to acquire and inexpensive. Plus it won't harm the plastic.

I use an old case lid.

Fill to just over the top and cover it. Helps reduce the fumes (if that bothers you) and evaporation.

Around the 3 hour mark things start to soften.

Around the 4 hour mark I start to brush and clean away.

Yes these are actually decals. Scalextric has changed to this method a few years back. Once these are off, the paint quickly goes away.

Hope this helps.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: Stripping The Monte

Postby REL13 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:42 am

Harry, I did not know they are actually decals, I may have to try this on my next one. Thanks, REL13 :text-goodpost:
REL13
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby lancelotalove » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:35 am

what color is it after strip?
white, red, or ?
lancelotalove
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:01 pm

White
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Cincyslots » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:08 pm

Nice, white makes a great start!

Thanks for sharing.
Cincyslots
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:16 pm

Thanks. The white kits will be in soon, so this will be useless :)

But until then :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby WB2 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:01 pm

Cue the music
WB2
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby frank9129 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:32 pm

We played that for the Majorettes to twirl to.
God, I miss those days. Getting ready for the football games.
frank9129
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:32 pm

Am I actually going to be the first to refer to this as the 'Full Monte'?

While it may be protocol to leave your hat on throughout the process, I would not recommend standing on a chair.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby Fletch3 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:49 pm

I’m working on one myself. I do have a question about the stripes on the rear window. How does one go about removing them? Or a simple way to cover them with another color?
Fletch3

Postby JULES » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:17 am

Harry,
I have not seen that decal decoration technique before. What material is the print on? Some kind of thin poly? Like a large micro-thin sticker?

When you are releasing that sticker, are you dissolving some kind of adhesive? What gives first? The base red paint or the adhesive?

Curiously yours,

Jules
JULES
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:24 am

It appears to be a poly/waterslide decal material. Much like the decals you had made early on for the Trans-Am models. Aside from they are just a little thicker. Maybe .50 MIL?

The adhesive loosened first and then the paint it was protecting soon after.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby crossovercrazy » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:32 am

Thank you for the simple explanation/reminder, Harry. Looks like I and my friends will be doing a lot of this. I was too much of a Nervous Nellie to wait for the white kits.

The simplest way to convert the aero to a notch-back Monte would also be a great and useful review, Harry!
crossovercrazy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby WB2 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:32 am

Jim Heller has decals out for the Monte Carlo.
Do a search on the auction site if he hasn’t posted here yet.
WB2
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:37 pm

Well, I'll pass. Those decals are the lowest quality I have ever worked with. He doesn't use enough ink through his ALPS and the bleed through is horrible.

I am trying some new ones following the advice Strangebrew has shared and ordered from Patto's. Takes longer, more expensive, but worth it to me.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Next

Return to The Paint Booth