[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - How to deal with decals wrinkles

How to deal with decals wrinkles

Custom Paint Job Showcase
From Decals To Painting Techniques - We Have You Covered!

How to deal with decals wrinkles

Postby GRUNZ » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:41 pm

Hi All
I would like to pick your brain and ask for some advices on how to deal with decals wrinkling after being applied.
Just to begin with I use microsol Set and Sol.
First I apply the set solution. Then put the decal on top of it until it gets to the right position.
Then, I use a flat brush to put some Sol.

As a point in case, I want to show you my latest build: a scaleauto R8 whitekit in the Korea Phoenix Racing livery for the Asia Le Mans.
In the pics below you can see on the red stripe going from wheel arch to wheel arch under the door that there are three wrinkles: two under the number 31 and one under the O.

And this is on the other side: there is on the red stripe under the O

When I applied the decals they were not there. After a while after the Sol application the wrinkles started to appear and never left.
If I use my finger with a bit of saliva (ok not the best decal liquid out there) the wrinkles can be pushed back but after a couple of secs they come up again.
I have cut a hole in them to make sure that there is not water but to no avail.

Any suggestions?
GRUNZ
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: How to deal with decals wrinkles

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:30 pm

I can't see your images at all, but in my experience, when that happens, the only answer is to keep checking it over and over and smoothing it out with a soft brush. Usually, the culprit is inferior decals. A local guy here sells on Ebay and his decals are just not good. I got tired of having to invest 30 minutes or more to get proper results, so I used up all of his and never bought from him again.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Z-carfan » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:46 pm

Gruntz,
I’ve used both products and had this same result.

MicroSOL, softens the decal and MicroSET makes it conform to the body and over ribs etc.

I would work a little more SET in and allow it to shrink the decal overnight, I think that will help.

Cheers,
Mike
Last edited by Z-carfan on Tue May 01, 2018 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:04 pm

Andy?
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Z-carfan » Tue May 01, 2018 8:49 am

Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Changing-Gearz » Tue May 08, 2018 6:54 am

microsol is extremly "hot" to soften the decal for going around corners and into shut lines between panels etc - you have to get water under the decal after 10-15 seconds of sitting. If you work with it long enough with no water - the decal eventually turns to goo. Some people cut the bottle up front with a little water it can be so hot. That looks like a decal that just dried in place with micrsol under it....

The Microset is very good where you just want the decal to remain in position. it isn't so much used for softening as it is for stabilizing. I use it because I'll blow the model off with an air hose before a clear coat...... Without it the decals fly off and end up on the floor....(where I've been know to lick the decal, slap it on and go right to clear over it.... :? )
Changing-Gearz
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby GoBucks » Tue May 08, 2018 4:20 pm

I first place a bit of solution on the model before I apply my decals. When the decal is ready and I have placed it, I then Use a cotton swab (qtip) that has a bit of solution in the tip. I gently roll the swab back and forth over rough surfaces. Don’t drag it as you would a paint brush. Keep rolling the decal until you see it take shape. Don’t use too much solution or it will dissolve the decal. I let the decals dry for at least 24 hrs before any clear coat. This has worked for me even with poor quality decals.
GoBucks

Postby GRUNZ » Tue May 08, 2018 9:17 pm

Guys
thanks a lot for your replies. In my immense ignorance I have used huge amount of Micro Sol and I think I have melted almost the decals.
Actually Milan's decals have taken the abuse quite well.
Unfortunately this car is lost. I have used Set (as suggested above) but not much has changed.
I have now clearcoted the car (using X22) because I have to finish the review for Slotcar Mods Magazine.
Again, thanks for your inputs.
I should do better next time.
GRUNZ
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby torquemutant » Wed May 09, 2018 7:58 am

torquemutant
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Modlerbob » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:01 am

Being a modeler of plastic aircraft I have used the micro system for almost 40 years. If you go to their website there is good advice on how to properly use their products. Usually, if you have pre-wetted the area with micro set, placed the decal and then applied the micro sol everything works the way it is supposed to. Never apply the micro sol before the decal is exactly where you want it as the micro sol softens the backing film to the point where the decal will distort if an attempt is made to reposition it. Much of the time the decal will show wrinkles during the setting but if left alone as it dries the wrinkles will vanish. If the surface is very irregular and if bubbles appear I take a sharp xacto knife with a #11 blade and puncture the bubbles and then carefully reapply the micro sol with a soft brush being careful not to distort the decal. Some decals though, do not behave using the micro system as the film is too thick. Another product called solvaset sometimes works in these cases but there are still some decals, usually from home based manufacturers, that resist any form of setting solution.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Paint Booth