Paint Diagnosis

Custom Paint Job Showcase
From Decals To Painting Techniques - We Have You Covered!

Re: Paint Diagnosis

Postby bkrownd » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:29 am

So I used the frog tape. It was easy to use in straight lines on my flat testing strip, but it was pretty difficult to mask 3D curves with at this small scale. I built up the masks with little bits of tape, trying to keep straight lines despite the curves. The nose of the car is more rounded than it appears in the photo. I did get a couple of tiny bleed-throughs that took off tiny spots of paint when the tape was peeled away. Generally it got the job done, and I didn't notice any of the clear coat come up. Other than possibly touching these spots up I'm done with painting, and need to start the decals.

bkrownd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bkrownd » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:55 am

Oops, I miscalculated my timetable by a day - it's due Tuesday when I was planning on Wednesday. No time to touch up the minor nicks. That's only 24 hours between the clear coat and the Future - is that likely to be a problem?

Hmm, last time I use a flash to take a photo of this car:

Oops, I miscalculated my timetable by a day - it's due Tuesday when I was planning on Wednesday. No time to touch up the minor nicks. That's only 24 hours between the clear coat and the Future - is that likely to be a problem?
bkrownd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:16 am

I think it looks fantastic! Is this for the Pony Car proxy? If so, she will look at home on the PDR leg of the event!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby bkrownd » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:00 pm

Yes, Pony Proxy. I was thinking the finish would need a lot of protection, and that's what the Future was for. I meant to go light on the clear coat, but the top was looking a bit uneven so I ended up fairly heavy with the clear.
bkrownd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bkrownd » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:01 am

Despite a couple of screw-ups, the painting was really a breeze. 7 layers: Primer, garnet color, clear coat, black details, decals, clear coat, Future. Sadly, I didn't have time to Foil the bumpers. However, this is the first model I've made since 9th grade so it still feels like quite an accomplishment to get this far with it. Now it's time for the Proxy People to crash it for me! :twisted:

bkrownd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bkrownd » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:27 pm

Thanks. I'll foil it if it survives the proxy. I have a second body which I hope will be metallic royal blue, and I also have the RMS Resins Impala which will be the GM metallic (olive?) light green like my grandparents' Impala. That will need even more foil. I have a whole stack of 1950's-1970's japanese models to do.

My modelling experience as a kid was so unsatisfying that I didn't think I'd ever build one again. I used to build the snap-together planes for the sole purpose of blowing them up with fireworks. :twisted:
bkrownd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Paint Diagnosis - Wet sanding???

Postby Dundee Denny » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:14 pm

could someone give me a "cliff notes" version on wet sanding.

Warning I always but the decals on before the paint is really dry.

I have a new Yorker on the scratchbuild that is giving me fits, and figure might as well try it on that one since the car has the black cloud over it

Thanks

Dundee Denny
Dundee Denny
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dge467 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:56 pm

Wow, I missed the finished job! It looks awesome!!!
dge467
The King of Foil

Previous

Return to The Paint Booth