[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Molotow Chrome Marker Pens!

Molotow Chrome Marker Pens!

Custom Paint Job Showcase
From Decals To Painting Techniques - We Have You Covered!

Re: Molotow Chrome Marker Pens!

Postby btaylor » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:59 am

I got mine yesterday. To say that it looks like chrome would be a gross understatement! it rivals the best flash plated plastic chrome I have ever seen, and flows evenly and smoothly. I ordered the 1mm pen thinking that I could always double up on wide places. It gets five stars in my book! I have not clear coated it yet, so as Mark says, that might be a game changer. But I might let it go as is, and just touch up as needed.
One of the best modeling tools I have seen in a while.

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby BARC 1 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:24 am

I think the issue is that it might run when clear coated and bleed, just like a sharpie does. So this might very well need to be the final step in the model. Can't wait to get mine as this sounds very promising.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:58 am

Mine arrived today. The General suprised me as I have been too busy even to shop.

The 1 MM version.

For me, good old Testors silver is good enough. It creates a close enough effect for my eyes and I'm not in a model contest.

With that said? WOW. Yes, this has an incredible shine. What I like the most is the tip size and flow that really lets you get after the small stuff.

This is the Monogram Ford I am in the process of making a master for a mold. The chrome on the sides of the bumpers here was wet sanded almost completely off. I used a heavy coat here as building it up a little bit really allowed it to level off naturally and still keep the shine seal.

Let this dry for at least 30 minutes when you lay it on heavy. If not more.

I covered the sample areas with one light coat of Future (Pledge Floor Shine) and didn't seem to affect it.

Very impressive. They are not giving them away, but if you want this level of shine...it's a no-brainer.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby mattb » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:11 pm

P1010002.JPGP1010001.JPG
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:34 pm

Mine came today, too. And I finally ordered an RGEO wire bender, and it came today, too. Looks like a slot car Spring comin' up.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby taskak » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:29 am

taskak
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Broman62 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:37 am

Got mine in yesterday...all 3 sizes just to have and hopefully will use today... glad to hear the "Future" didn't affect it!!
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:38 am

Mine showed up but with the race yesterday, didn't have a chance to try it yet... but really liking what I am seeing in the feedback here! Harry - that is great news on the future top coat not dulling it! :D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:28 am

I checked the bumper area I coated and still seems fine.

To me.

Others feel that the Future takes away from the shine. I would experiment and use with caution.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby RazorJon » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:28 am

Harry, is the ink conductive?
could be used as a circuit writer pen
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby Broman62 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:23 pm

Well...right in the middle of using mine here just a half hour ago the power went out but I will post some picks of my results I got later...BUT...highly POed right now cause I only used the 1mm for a few moments and it quit working :mad: Not sure what is wrong with it!!! The 2mm and 4mm work great so far and I am highly pleased with the results!!
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:11 pm

Try shaking it very hard, then press it a bunch of times. Which I am sure you did...just trying to help.

I used a sponge to press mine onto. Did not want to damage the tip. lol
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby btaylor » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:26 pm

Mine has quit a couple of times also. I wipe the tip off, and just lightly pump it on a spare piece. It will start working again. Of course I pumped mine to much and made a huge mess too, so be careful.

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby Broman62 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:22 pm

Well the power came back on and I was able to finish up the car I was working!! Also the 1mm marker started working again...YAHOO!! I had to laugh BT cause I kinda did the same thing and made a little mess myself :lol: :lol: !! Anyway, this car I worked on(which is a test car) I learned a not so good lesson when your working with chrome and CA...back when I was gluing the chrome on I was using CA and for some reason on this particular model the chrome hazed up all over both front chrome and back!! So I ended up using Testors Silver Chrome to cover it up!! So today I figured what the heck I'll just try and paint over it with the new markers and WOW... what a great job these markers did!! I used all 3 markers...1-2-4mm and they worked great!! Hopefully you can see the difference in the pics of the Testors silver chrome and the new Molotow chrome markers!! It's not the most professional job but I'm happy with it!!

I think this one shows the best in the paint difference...on the right is the TSC and on the left is the Molotow, look at the shine difference!!

This is the rear bumper and boy what a difference it made!!

This is a side view of how it came out. I did not have any TSC on the side rails but the door handles and name tags did have it on!!

One more, just to show it's shinyness!!

One thing I did notice is is that if you go back over an area that you have already done, it heavy's up and you will notice it when it dries up!! Some spots that I thought I got too heavy I just took a paper towel piece and dabbed it to soak up the overflow!!

Overall I'm very happy with these markers and will be using them to pretty up some other cars chrome areas that I would never have attempted before!! Hope this helps others!!!
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:36 pm

Great side by side photos, excellent work.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

PreviousNext

Return to The Paint Booth