Johnson's Kleer

Custom Paint Job Showcase
From Decals To Painting Techniques - We Have You Covered!

Johnson's Kleer

Postby walker » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:49 pm

Is there anybody here who has experience with airbrushing KLEER ? I do not want FUTURE, but the good old Kleer. Both are not the same.
Up to now I am applying it with a brush. It works very well.
But I want to apply it by airbrush now.

1. Does it have to be thinned, and if yes, what to use ?
2. How can I clean the airbrush ?

Please no opinions, but experiences.
Thank you,

Roland
walker
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Johnson's Kleer

Postby RichD » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:25 am

I did a search for Kleer on the SC Johnson website and came up empty. The name for Future outside of the US was Kleer at one time if I recall correctly. In the US the name was changed to Pledge Floor Care Multi Surface Finish. Possibly at some point the product was reformulated. I do not know what the Pledge product is called outside of the US. Back when I was still working I could have gotten the Pledge product analyzed. I did get some Future analyzed a number of years ago, so I have a good idea of what went into that. Assuming that Future, Kleer and Pledge are similar you should be able to dilute with plain water and adding ammonia to the water that you flush your airbrush with will help.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby walker » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:32 pm

Thank you.
Did you ever use KLEER with an airbrush yourself ?

If you are able to smell Kleer as well as Future intensively you will find out the quite remarkable difference that prevented the sale of Kleer as it was in the US.
Therefore Future, the US counterpart, is a bit different. And it has nothing to do with Pledge.
For those who tried both for many years, just like me, the difference is obvious and speaks for Kleer. Unfortunatly it isn´t produced anymore. Wondering why.... :think: Might have to do something with its ingrediences.

Fortunately I was able to buy a sixpack before it disappeared at all. :dance:

Regards,

Roland
walker
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:35 pm

The Future I bought 15 years ago is no longer in production, the new formulation is called Pledge, and it appears to be watered down.. Future is history.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:25 pm

I have never used Kleer, as far as I know it was never sold in the US. Future has always worked well for me. At one time many companies offered similar products. I expect that because no wax vinyl floors are no longer in style the demand for such products is greatly reduced. The Pledge product is touted for other surfaces besides vinyl. Most of the time you would find Pledge on a bottom shelf.
I mentioned earlier that I had some Future analyzed. After it dries the weight loss amounts to 75%, so it was rather thin to start with.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Paint Booth