[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - color choice UPDATE: forget it...

color choice UPDATE: forget it...

Custom Paint Job Showcase
From Decals To Painting Techniques - We Have You Covered!

Re: color choice UPDATE: forget it...

Postby TsgtRet » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:56 pm

TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:43 pm

I started on the spare body, and sure enough, I didn't get enough of that thick clearcoat off that they put on Scaley white kits and it rejected the primer. Back in the alcohol again. The good news is that I actually found the same shade of red in Duplicolor today, so I can paint the dang thing 20 times if I need to.

What happened to the first body was that the drill bit snagged and caught, twisting the car to pieces. There are still pieces from the front that I can't find.

Oh, and before I forget, Bill, I have used that technique when drilling through a finished piece, too. This was bare plastic that had already been scribed for the circle. I suspect that the bit wasn't coming in at a dead 90 degrees. Its interesting how many of us in slot cars have a long history in woodworking. I have been building furniture, boats, houses, built-ins and art pieces for 45 years, and my first project was helping to build a shrimp boat on the Gulf Coast when I was 12 years old. As soon as I grew up, I was buying tools, and I still have most of them.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby bill from nh » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:07 pm

I grew up on the coast of Maine. I never built a boat, but I had an uncle who built several. My dad built our house & a barn, a neighbor drove truck for a local lumber yard, so there never was a shortage of tools & wood when I was a kid. We usuallly built camps we could sleep in, towers, & buggies when we found wagon or baby carriage wheels. I still enjoy woodworking because it's something I can do by myself, if necessary, & do for the rest of my life. I have an assortment of power tools down cellar. I also inherited a few hand tools that belonged to my dad, his father, & his grandfather. Today, I'll build furniture, toys for my grandsons, & whatever else that should come along. I have to admit that slot cars have cut into my woodworking time the past twenty years. :)
bill from nh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bdsharp » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:18 pm

bdsharp
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:31 pm

This was a brad point, sharpened waaay past normal, to a mirror edge. I suspect that the stripping operation made the plastic brittle. I must have done this with Scaley white kits a 100 times before. This one, since its expensive and hard to find, decided to P*SS me off. I'm still looking for the lost pieces. When I find them, I'll run it so hard I break it to pieces again! HA!
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Previous

Return to The Paint Booth