[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - color choice UPDATE: forget it...

color choice UPDATE: forget it...

Custom Paint Job Showcase
From Decals To Painting Techniques - We Have You Covered!

color choice UPDATE: forget it...

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:45 pm

I'm at a standstill over my Showme Showdown car. I got a near perfect color on the body, and now it time to do contrasting field of color to sharpen the look. I planned to use a bright silver over the red-over-gold (similar to Candy Apple Red), body, but now I'm wondering about a silvery blue with white numbers. But that doesn't look like what I want, either when I hold it up against the red. I looked at a couple of metallic oranges, and they don't turn me on, either. I wonder about a metallic purple? I want the contrast color to be metallic, but I'm open to ideas.

Hit me, guys. I need ideas. Its a Dodge Challenger, fenders hogged out, huge meats on the wheels, air cleaner coming through the hood, etc. Chrome wheels.
Last edited by waaytoomuchintothis on Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Re: color choice

Postby nhdungeonracer » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:33 pm

Any chance of a pic so we can "visualize" better? :mrgreen:
nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:57 pm

waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:14 pm

I like candy apple red.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby nhdungeonracer » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:57 pm

Of the colors you mentioned, I think I like the silver the best. Perhaps a blue or black pinstripe pinstripe separating the colors.

Have you considered white, with maybe a gold pinstripe to separate the 2 colors?
nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Postby TsgtRet » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:20 pm

Since it's a stocker, I'd go with the purple with a black pinstripe in between.
TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:52 pm

Easy enough, I can do that.

What do you guys think about a bright silver with blue overcoat, outlined in white pinstripe? If I can pull it off...
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby DManley » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:39 pm

Not one of your choices, but a gold accent would look great on that car.
DManley

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:45 pm

That may be my backup plan. All those Bobby Allison cars come to mind...
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby DManley » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:08 pm

I wasn't thinking about Bobby Allison's cars, but now that you mention them, I always liked those Coca Cola paint jobs. They were some sharp cars.

This was my first thought when I saw the red and decided gold would look nice.
DManley

Re: color choice UPDATE: forget it...

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:34 pm

The clearcoat developed leprosy on one area, it won't polish out, and trying a third coat of clear to "fill in" which can be done sometimes... didn't work. More leprosy. When the last clearcoat dries, I'll strip it and start over. Rats! To add insult to injury, I'm out of the red and I'll have to go buy some.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby TsgtRet » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:06 pm

Try some Future, I've had it rescue "troublespots" when plain clear wouldn't!
TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:07 pm

Thanks, Sarge. I have done that, too. But this is really nasty. I'm starting over and I think I have the color palette figured out. I'll do the same red-over-gold basecoat, then a Plum Crazy metallic purple chevron on the sides, lined with a metallic light blue with white pinstripes between the red and the blue. Maybe red or yellow pinstripes between the blue and the purple?

After this much fussin' and foolin' around, I want spectacular! This sucker is going to be a Show-Stopper Show-me Showdown Omigod-Is-That-Real Omnibus Universal Hoohah of a car. I wonder if it will run?
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:55 pm

a further update... The damned body shattered when I drilled for an air cleaner through the hood. I'll glue it back together and start again tomorrow.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby bill from nh » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:52 pm

Would it have helped any to place masking tape on the area to be drilled for the air cleaner before drilling? I sometimes do this when woodworking.
bill from nh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to The Paint Booth