Trying to strip a Fly body

Custom Paint Job Showcase
From Decals To Painting Techniques - We Have You Covered!

Trying to strip a Fly body

Postby TsgtRet » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:50 am

Ok, did Fly impregnate their tampos and paint into the body? I have a first gen Lancia Beta soaking in alcohol.....it's now been in there for 12 hours and it hasn't dented anything other than some added decals and the "Future" clear coat; suggestions, experience, pity? I'm open. I really don't want to sand and prime this one. HELP!
TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Trying to strip a Fly body

Postby Audi1 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:25 am

Go 24 hours, then rub the surface; you may find that there's more loose than you think.............. I've stripped cars where you had to use fingers and finger nails to get the paint and decals off. I do this while the car is submerged in the 91% alcohol. Be sure that you're using 91% and not 70% isopropanol.

If you do the stripping with the body submerged, then wear a respirator and gloves because breathing isopropanol fumes for more than a few minutes can cause you some distress.............ask me how I know; after a trip to the ER................

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TsgtRet » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:38 am

It is 91%. I usually use a Scotchbrite pad but do the "fingernail test" first. By the time I get home from work today it will be at 24 hours...... :roll: Fingers crossed.
TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby FootScoot » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:42 am

Fly seems to use the toughest clear coat and paint. I had one I had in alcohol for 3 days and it was still defiant. Scotch Brite is a good choice. I may have to give it a try. :)
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Return to The Paint Booth