Rub-on decals?

Custom Paint Job Showcase
From Decals To Painting Techniques - We Have You Covered!

Rub-on decals?

Postby Mickey thumbs » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:04 pm

I remember using rub-on decal letters/numbers back in the 60’s. Does such a product still exist? If so where can I get them? They were great for custom fine print like scca class, etc. They were black and white and were applied by rubbing the sheet with a pencil.
Mickey thumbs

Re: Rub-on decals?

Postby slothead » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:40 pm

Seems they are quite popular for scrapbook projects.

Found these on Etsy under 'rub on letters'. I think you can get the at craft stores and places like Hobby Lobby.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby dw5555 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:50 am

My LHS carries them for the pine derby cars and Hobby Lobby also carries them. The Slot-it has had the transfer decals on for over 6 yrs with 3 of them competitively driven. They still look great.
Dave
dw5555
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Mickey thumbs » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:15 pm

Thanks guys. I’ll check out the local Hobby Lobby. So happens that’s where I bought the ‘63 split window Corvette that I’m building a brass chassis for using a slot.it SW motor pod. Plan to put scca class B/P markings on it and my hand painting leaves a lot to be desired
Mickey thumbs

Postby TuscoTodd » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:33 pm

If you search for "Dry transfer" decals you will find a wide selection as well. I have used ones designed for Pinewood derby cars and model rail road applications for a while and they work great!
Here is picture of a C7R repaint I did with dry transfer pinewood derby decals for use in the digital proxy we ran back in '17:

Happy hunting!
:)
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby Mickey thumbs » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:54 pm

Found the products I remember- Letraset dry transfer #’s and letters. Ordered Woodland Scenics railroad letter sheet of dry transfers. I’ve had good luck with their landscaping products. They are big in the model RR world.
Mickey thumbs

Postby Mickey thumbs » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:33 pm

Here are the Woodland Scenics sheets I bought. Numbers and letters are available in white and black. Obviously a ways to go on the model making skills :lol:
Mickey thumbs

Postby bill from nh » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:16 am

I used a lot of Letraset in the 70's, both black & white, maybe I had silver & gold too, but I'm not too sure of those. I used to buy them at a Fitts Photo Shop in the Boston suburbs, a shop that sold cameras, model kits, & trains. I did not know dry transfer lettering was still available since I haven't seen any in years. Thanks for the "heads-up."
bill from nh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Paint Booth