Paint recommendation please

Custom Paint Job Showcase
From Decals To Painting Techniques - We Have You Covered!

Paint recommendation please

Postby 27myers » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:57 pm

I will be repainting some scx nascars and doing some throw back cars and days of thunder schemes. What is recommended for rattle can paint? So far I've seen that everyone recommends lacquer. What brands will have the proper green and pink for the cole trickle cars? I've also seen some people are using Tamiya paint (woah expensive). It appears only the "ts" line works properly on slot car bodies? Also what primers and clears to use?
Any advice is appreciated!
27myers

Re: Paint recommendation please

Postby manchvegasracer » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:47 am

I actually did a Cole Trickle City Chevy paint scheme on a Scalextric Aero Nascar. I believe I used rattle cans from Tamiya and Model Masters. They both work just fine for me. I usually do a light primer coat after stripping the body (91% alcohol). You can hot glue a wooden dowel to the underside of the roof. Makes it easy to rotate and paint. I got the decals from Pattos. I can get some pictures if you like. I'll also try to find out what colors I used for the Cole Trickle car. Good luck with your painting project.
manchvegasracer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:28 pm

I agree.
When you consider how little of the Tamiya and Model Master paints you use to get a great paint job, its cheap. The Tamiya paints' series designations aren't absolute about hard plastic bodies. If the paint you want is "hot" that is, highly volatile paint intended for Lexan clear bodies, you can use a barrier spray first, then use very thin, misting coast after. The old Floquil paints for trains were sometimes very hot and would craze thin plastic HO railcar bodies and so they sold their own barrier. Regardless of what paint you choose, be damned sure you give it plenty of time to "gas out" before attempting clearcoating. Lots of people have been very unhappy with what clear does to a paint job that wasn't ready yet. Some paints take days to fully gas out.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby 27myers » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:55 pm

Thanks for your input. Yah I'd love to see pictures. And yes it would be great if you remember which colors you used.
27myers

Return to The Paint Booth