[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Chassis building on a honeycomb ceramic plate.

Chassis building on a honeycomb ceramic plate.

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

Re: Chassis building on a honeycomb ceramic plate.

Postby JT Previa » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:58 am

Thanks Guys, glad you like the idea! It was fun to actually finish a project for a change!

The bass wood was .530 wide by .310 wide. I made mine .475 high. These work well for the Sprites and Minis I tend to build, but larger car builders could use bigger pieces of wood. I was surprised how snug the axle fit a .093 hole. Those screws are 2-56, .75" long pan head. I counterbored from above .093 about .18 deep to ease tapping and reduce wrist fatigue turning those screws!

JT
JT Previa
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bill from nh » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:47 pm

JT, excellent design on these jig wheels! They're not like anything I use or have ever seen before. I like the ability to be adjusted for various different wheel sizes. I'll have to build myself a set too. <G>
bill from nh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:24 pm

Sure enough, I had some leftover bamboo flooring (unbelievably hard planks), and I made a 1/24th-25th set and a 1/32nd set. I had some 2-56 socket head screws (hell to screw into bamboo, even with slightly larger than usual pilot holes).

Just playing around with it, I can tell this is going to be a blast. I think I'll do a chassis for the Mini-Ute first. Nice and small, and I have a pile of parts waiting to go in it. Yes!
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:05 am

A Honeycomb Dilemma - Solved

In one of the posts above I showed pictures of a chassis I am building for a Munter resin Alfa.

I thought I had measured the wheelbase correctly and for the regular body I had, but this one is having a flared body.

Oops! Somewhere in my exuberance to add nice flares to a now lowered Alfa, I must have slightly changed the wheelbase. When I tried to mount the body it became very obvious that my wheelbase was now too long. What to do? (Message to myself- flare the body first and then build to it.)

I knew I didn't want to redo the flares, as they had turned out quite well. The rear had a pod, so the only option was to re-solder the front axle tube. The tube was soldered at three points across the chassis, so I had to use a razor saw and cut the solder so I could remove the tube. When it was mostly all cut, I put an axle in it and used vise-grips to ease it off. The board was already set up one hole shorter, and it was easy to re-solder the tube. I rebuilt the car, ready for testing.

While it was going around the track it just didn't look right as the wheelbase was now too short. Now what will I do?

I determined that I needed a location in between the two rows of holes.

I have great admiration for the inventors of K&S brass tubing and the fact that you can telescope it. I left the pins behind the axle where they were, and then moved the front pins one spot forward, to where they had been originally. Now the axle was loose between the pins. I always keep short scraps of tubing so I determined that a piece of 1/8 with a piece of 5/32 around it would fill the gap and centre the axle.

Result - A perfect centering of the wheels in the wells, and a job well done.

I'm posting this for your info if you run into a similar situation where the desired location falls just between the pin holes.

Happy building,

Keith
Last edited by Retro Racer 44 on Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby masmojo » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:00 pm

Glad I found this! I bought one of these ceramic plates, when I saw them mentioned elsewhere a couple months ago! Up to now I had been soldering mine using, those little third hand thingys that Xacto makes and you can get @ Harbor Freight OR Calmping/holding things down on a small piece of granite and burning my fingers allot!! :(

This will work MUCH better! I think I bought the wrong plate though, because the holes in mine are VERY small! Might need to find another! :think:
masmojo
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:14 pm

Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:04 am

Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby masmojo » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:07 am

I really like the idea of using a pre-existing motor pod that should really make things tons easier!
I have done that on plastic chassis before, but for whatever reason the idea of doing it with brass never got through my thick skull!
masmojo
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ember » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:26 pm

Silly question maybe, but how do you attach the pod to the chassis? What size screws?
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:35 pm

Hi Lynne;

I use #2 x 3/8" flathead Phillips wood screws. I got tired of paying several dollars for screws from slot car companies, and went to the local fastener company and got 100 of these for less than $5.00. I also got 100 motor mounting screws for the same type of price, and 50 2x4mm set screws for less than $10.

I have replaced almost all of my regular pod and body mounting screws with them and am almost out of my second 100. I drill a 3/32 hole in the brass and then use a 3/16 or larger bit to countersink the hole so the head is flush with the bottom.

I discovered that they are easily modified so that the last 1/8 or so under the head has no thread. I put a small piece of wood into my vice, screw it into the wood so the last of the thread still shows and use the edge of a file to take off the thread while turning the screw with a screwdriver in my other hand. Although this is not necessary, these modified screws are less likely to bind as the pod or body moves.

Cheers,

Keith
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ember » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:03 am

Thanks Keith. I did the same thing and bought a bunch of screws from MicroFasteners in Melbourne (Vic not FL) but had to buy them in lots of 200. Got 200 brass machine screws and matched nuts and 200 s/s self tapping screws for body mounting, but I figured the M3 size would be a bit big for motor pods. As it is I think I should have gone for M2 or M2.5 instead.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:28 am

A #2 screw is approximately 2.2mm, but the thread is deeper on a wood screw that on a bolt. So a 2-56 bolt may fit fine, but the screw grabs better.
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby masmojo » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:53 pm

masmojo
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby LloydL » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:16 pm

LloydL
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby oz10k » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:48 pm

FYI, #18 wire nails from Home Depot work pretty well. Although some had rough edges that I needed to file to get a good fit. The largest size at our store was 3/4", which are a bit short. Go for 1" if you can find them.

Ron
oz10k

PreviousNext

Return to The Marty Stanley Scratchbuilders Shop