Frazer Nash

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

Frazer Nash

Postby jmsh54 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:43 pm

Greetings, I got this resin 1/32 body from AA Slot car Bodies. The body can be had either in fiber glass or resin. Never having worked with a fiber glass body before I elected resin. What you get is a body with a molded in driver and a wind sreen.

I opened up the hood scoop and all the molded on marker lights and head lights. I left the molded in driver figure. But in the end I wish I had cut that out too.

I used a PCS chassis. Added a yellow Slot it crown gear and pinion. Slot it axles and Protoslot wheels, inserts and tires. The motor is a 18,000 rpm that either came form the good Professor or Electric Dreams

Added a review mirror and drivers head from the spares box and some small rivets to the seat cover to simulate snaps.

Hooks up real well on my Carrera track. Fun build but almost had to have a hazmet suit to remove all the extra resin. Need to remove some of the black wash on the hood as I got a bit carried away. Regards, John
jmsh54

Re: Frazer Nash

Postby TsgtRet » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:44 pm

Beautiful build. As for your hood....tell 'em you blew an oil line in practice and it got a bit smokey under there. :roll:
Those wheels just look so right!
TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dge467 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:34 pm

Awesome build! That is a great looking car!
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:22 pm

Ditto, great work sir. Just love that look.

I want to try these wheels myself.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby RazorJon » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:31 pm

great job
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby dreinecke » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:42 pm

Excellent work! I say that because I have that car in a box...I was reluctant to start mine due to the cleanup it needs, but you did a fine job there!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby Dangermouse » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:49 pm

Love the rivets, what did you use?

I was going to see if I could find some suitable Grandt Line model railroad 'bolts' to use as rivets for my Aston.

http://grandtline.com

cheers
David
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby jmsh54 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:39 pm

Greetings, thanks for your kind comments and views. Well it looks like an oil line leak it is. Learned a lot about putting a wash on. Hope for better results next time.

Harry, Protoslot wheels are fine wheels, however a caution should you use them. Make sure the grub scew is going in straight becasue the hole in the wheel strips out real easy, however if that happens 2 part epoxy glue holds them real well to the axle.

Bibster, here in Northern Michigan the time between end of summer and ice fishing season is car building time. Plus I have found now that the Detroit Lions have gone back to their old ways of playing horrible football that most of my Sunday afternoons are free. Can't stand to watch a 4 hour live horror show.

David, if your car leaves the box find a hazmet suit. I have never seen so much resin dust in the air. I wore an old rain suit and a dust mask and still looked like I had spent the day in a mine. Just took the suit off, dropped it in a plastic bag and threw it out. I have 3 more AA bodies and they are all the same.

Dangermouse, David, The product you mentioned is what I used. They are plastic, at least the set I have, and kind of hard to use. you might want to take a look at this site, http://www.scalehardware.com/. Their rivets are metal and look like they might be easier to use. I ordered up some sets of different size and should get them in the next day or so. I'll give you an update when they arrive.

Regards, John
jmsh54

Postby Dangermouse » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:16 pm

Thanks John

I am trying to work out an appropriate size - there are 0.030" rivets , and 0.035" and 0.043" = at the moment I am thinking 0.030 as these I can get locally for $6 for 200.

I think these scale out just under an inch which is probably big enough (if not too big)

awesome link by the way - thanks

The rivets I have found are from this company http://tichytraingroup.com/index.php?pa ... s&offset=0
cheers
David
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dangermouse » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:56 am

Not to hijack John's thread but here is the result of my riveting
cheers
DM
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby jmsh54 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:09 pm

DM, are those the.030 rivets? Those look spot on. Regards, John
jmsh54

Postby Dangermouse » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:55 pm

Yes John

tichy train 0.030 rivets. I cut the head off and used a tooth pick to put a dot of super glue on the spot and the carefully as I could picked the rivet up, I used a wet blade and placed it on the dot. In putting 16 on and lost about 4 because the dropped of the blade and disappeared. But at $6 for 200 I have plenty left

cheers
David
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Marty Stanley Scratchbuilders Shop