[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Found a model of a former car I owned

Found a model of a former car I owned

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

Found a model of a former car I owned

Postby turbokev » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:09 am

Didn't know they made a 70/71 Thunderbird in 1/32 scale..

Bought this old Lindberg kit on ebay this morning.

Interesting that it has the moonroof lines.. There were only 100 Tbirds made with a
power moonroof in 1971.. and all of them were commisioned by Ford through ASC prior
to sending them out to the dealerships. Very rare.. (I had one of them and did some research
on them back then)

I owned 3 of these 'pointy nosed' Tbirds in the past.. The black one was $400 in 1982. The Green was $1900 in 1990.
No pics of the white one..it was a beater.They all had 429 big blocks with 365 horsepower :)

Here's pictures of a couple of them..

Will make a good full size circle track car :)
turbokev
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Found a model of a former car I owned

Postby TsgtRet » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:25 am

TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:28 am

My friend's mother had a brand new T-Bird like that and we went to visit colleges together in it. It was so huge we called it the Blunderturd, but it was one of the most luxurious cars I ever drove. Quiet, smooth, and it nearly floated down the X-way at 90 with no effort at all.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby smithspeedway » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:40 pm

The kit isn't really 1/32. Those are pretty small.
smithspeedway
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DHansen » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:39 pm

Cool find on the T-Bird. I had a 1970 Mercury Marque back in the early 1980's, black on black 2 door with a 429 in it with the 2brl. carb. It would get 20MPG on the interstate cruising down the road at 75MPH with air on. When I slowed down to the speed limit [55MPH] it would only get around 14MPG. And less then that bumming around town. It was big and fast and I could smoke the tires all the way down main street. That's one car I wish I still had. But I got into an argument with a power pole one winter morning trying to get to work in a blizzard. Ain't never going to do that again.
DHansen
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bkrownd » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:06 pm

bkrownd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby turbokev » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:59 pm

It arrived today.. huge disappointment.
It's tiny, and the mold is messed up in the back so it's missing a bunch of the rear quarter.
Also, everything below the body side moulding is part fo the chassis, so slot conversion
is't so straight forward. I'll snap it together and use it as a spectator car off in the distance LOL..

(It did come with some rub on race numbers and sponsors I can use on other projectgs, so not a total loss.
turbokev
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:05 pm

Somebody on HRW explained the bizarro scales at Lindberg one time, but I forgot what he said. Its something about them buying other people's molds and just making up a scale they think it looked like. That doesn't explain why they made out of scale stuff back in the early 60s, though. I think they are just sloppy.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby turbokev » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:16 pm

Its laughable really..

The real 1971 Thunderbird is massive.. 212.5 inches long.

In comparison, a 2000's Monte Carlo SS (represented by this Artin stocker) is 197.6 inches long

The model Tbird is 5 and 3/32 long, or 5.094 long times 32 totaling 163.00 inches scaled up to 1:1

That length is about a foot shy of a 1972 Ford Capri :lol:

btw.. 212.5 / 32 = about 6 and 9/16 inhes long.. The Artin stocker is 6 and 5/16 long.

At this point, I'm not even keeping it, I asked for a refund. Seller agreed.. it's on the way back.

turbokev
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Marty Stanley Scratchbuilders Shop