[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Maserati 5000 GT

Maserati 5000 GT

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

Maserati 5000 GT

Postby dge467 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:36 pm

This is a old Hawk 1/32 scale model kit. My dad gave me one to build around 30 years ago, and was one of the first models I built. He still had another unbuilt kit in his collection and gave it to me to convert it into a slot car. The kit is kind of crude, as there is not any interior and only the windshield is supplied. The interior is from a old Strombecker slot car. I made the side and rear windows from some clear plastic. The body sits on a Strombecker chassis. Tires are repops from Tiny Motors. The body is painted with Testor's Italian red lacquer and clear coated. Chorme trim and headlights are done with Bare Metal Foil. The mirrors are from the parts box. The stripes should be a little more wider to match the real car.ImageImageImageImage
Last edited by dge467 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dge467
The King of Foil

Re: Maserati 5000 GT

Postby dge467 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:39 pm

Few more pictures.ImageImageImageImage
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:02 pm

Great job, you really do fine work.

I envy your bare metal foil skills.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby jmsh54 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:46 am

Greetings, now that is one nice looking slot car. Great job. Like your track too. Regards, John
jmsh54

Postby dreinecke » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:03 am

Great looking build! I really love the vintage stuff and you did a great job with the missing parts.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby dge467 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:47 pm

Thanks guys! I get a kick building obscure, different cars and trucks into slot cars.
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby RichD » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:38 am

The Maserati 5000GT has always been a favorite of mine. Model Car&Track published line drawings of it back in 1964 and I did an HO version of it at that time.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby JBriggsK9 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:04 am

dge467

VERY nice job on the 5000.. The old Hawk kits are not easy to work with and you did a kickass job on that one..

Chris
JBriggsK9

Postby red73mustang » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:13 am

Stunning paint and detail work ! I've had one of these on my project bench for a bout 7 or 8 years.... Not sure I would go with the Stromy chassis (have strongly considered it), but not much else will fit under that body.

Chet
red73mustang
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dge467 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:00 am

Thanks guys! I used the Stromberg chassis because I had it laying around and it fits the nostalgic feel for the car. It runs pretty good, especially with Tiny Motors tires. Although it would look better with some nicer wheels.
Last edited by dge467 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby dge467 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:01 am

dge467
The King of Foil

Postby RichD » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:39 am

Sadly most of my HO cars were stolen while I was in the Army.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby cagee13 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:56 pm

I never thought an old Hawk kit could look this good. Great job.
cagee13
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Marty Stanley Scratchbuilders Shop