[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Jiggin' it up - Shotgun Sedan FINISHED!

Jiggin' it up - Shotgun Sedan FINISHED!

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

Jiggin' it up - Shotgun Sedan FINISHED!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:13 pm

It has been awhile since this project was started, or rather actually worked on.

Had the idea of just doing a "slider" type chassis. Nothing new to advanced guys, it has been around a long time.

I decided to use the Professor Motor bulkhead in the rear. It saves me time and the cost is so little that it is certainly worth it. I used Parma bushings as well.

I cut the brass at the desired lengths and used a block system up front for the axle. I had to make my own guide holder as well. Did not have the exact size tubing I wanted, but this worked well enough.

Set it up in the RazorJig and soldered it all in place.

I like this design as it makes it easy to set the wheel base where I want it.

Just slip it in and slide it to set.

More work to do of course, but I have a roller.

Now...time to tear up the body a little more and finish up the wheels.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: Jiggin' it up - Shotgun Sedan

Postby dreinecke » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:32 pm

Looking good! This one of David's 1:32 sedans?
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby RazorJon » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:46 pm

looking good Harry
Dave yes this is one of Davids :lol:
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby RazorJon » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:47 pm

:banana-rock:
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:13 pm

Yes sir. Thanks.

And this chassis is also what will go under the Cougar. Just needs a little tweaking.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Florida_Slotter » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:16 am

Looking good there Sir.
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby ListerStormGT » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:21 am

Very cool Harry, great idea for a adjustable chassis.
ListerStormGT
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:26 am

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby goosenapper » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:49 pm

Thanks for posting the shot of the chassis on the jig.

brass chassis 101 question time:

Could you show how you made the holder for the guide flag?

Can you show how you attach the bushing to the bulkhead?
goosenapper
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:20 pm

Its been years since I made one of those. I think I'll do one for my David casting cars, just for fun. You don't get to badmouth your soldering skills anymore, BTW. That's lookin' good.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:42 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:49 pm

I've used the forged one and the sheet metal one, and I can't tell much of a difference. Why are there two kinds, anyway?
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby goosenapper » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:33 am

Thanks for posting those shots of the guide holder build. That will help a lot. As for the bushings, it sounds like I should just order those parts and play around with it. Cool. It doesn't look as intimidating in your shots as it did in my head! :)
goosenapper
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby jmsh54 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:45 am

Greetings, yes indeed nice looking chassis work. Like the guide holder too. Looking forward to seeing this one done. Regards, John
jmsh54

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:17 am

Thanks guys, glad to hear it.

Anyway, here is another shot of the guide holder that was bent and soldered to the front bulkhead.

I used brass rod and formed a front bumper. Nothing fancy, just something to move guys like Jeremy out of the way. :eusa-whistle:

As you can see, I am no expert chassis builder. But it works.

I soldered the MT motor in place. Then I used some brass plate and cut to fit. This is what I will drill into to make my body mounts.

The one thing I do not like about these Pro Motor mounts is that the distance of the rear axle is set just slightly to far back. This means the motor shaft does not sit inside the crown gear as designed to limit side to side play. So, you need to shim it. I used brass tubing, measured and cut the desired length. It works just fine.

I made a rear bumper out of brass rod that slides into the rear chassis rails. Again, very simple and you can slide to adjust it as needed.

All finished. Test runs reveal a decent runner. Not an award winning design or pretty...but it works.

Test fitting the body. It is too low in the photo, but my mounts will pick it up slightly so it looks like it should.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Next

Return to The Marty Stanley Scratchbuilders Shop