[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - I'm going to a land down under

I'm going to a land down under

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

I'm going to a land down under

Postby biedmatt » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:58 pm

My 2013 Tasman Cup Proxy entry. The Dave Jones bodyshell is light and strong. Finished weight is 57G. A rush build done in a little over two weeks, I have three proxy cars that need to ship this week. The other two were mostly freshen ups of cars that have run one proxy or another before. Glad to put these all behind me. Now to just sit back and see how they do.

biedmatt

Re: I'm going to a land down under

Postby jmsh54 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:36 pm

Greetings, Wow, your attention to detail is wonderful. Great looking build. I like the pictures of your track also. Regards, John
jmsh54

Postby Dangermouse » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:32 pm

really nice

if you want to leave down here let me know :)

David
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:33 pm

That'll earn you a Vegemite sandwich, Matt!
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Ember » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:58 pm

Beautiful. The Tasman Cup grid is going to be stunning. Going to have to get someone to take lots of photos of those pretties.

Good luck for the series.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:37 pm

Great work once again. Man you can "throw" a chassis together:)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby dreinecke » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:29 pm

Absolutely fantastic car! WOW!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby cagee13 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:35 pm

Best "thrown together" build I've ever seen. Good luck down under but you've waived checkered flag down there once before.
cagee13
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby biedmatt » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:21 am

Thank you all for the kind words. Even with a deadline looming, this has been a very fun project and I am very happy with the results. The food dryer has again saved me lots of time that I could not spend waiting for paint to dry.

Proxy racing has been good to me. I have had great results and have ended up with what I feel are the best cars I own.

The shocks are very simple. The body is 3/32 aluminum tube cut to the length desired. Now take a piece of that 3/32 tubing and cut it about 4 inches long. Add a slot crosswise at one end and chuck the opposite end into a drill. Put a piece of telephone wire in the slot and run your drill slowly while the wire spirals down the tube. Spread the coils out to the desired spacing, paint and glue to the shock body. Next time I am going to strip the insulation to get a finer looking spring. Another idea from the land of mmmoose.

Not so sure about that sandwich Rob. Does it have meat? Corned beef?
biedmatt

Postby moparjenny » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:14 am

Very nice, Matt!
moparjenny
Cupcakes

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:56 am

Vegemite is an alien compound captured by Australians by some mysterious aboriginal rite. It tastes about 10 times better than Marmite (UK), but is still 100 times worse than tasting a walnut that has a little of the inner hull still in it. Or chewing pencil erasers, bitterroot, used cat litter, etc.

waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:21 am

When I build a modified racer where the front suspension is exposed, I use plastic "trees" from which parts are removed. Ususally there is a spot on them where it is "necked down" and this makes a good 1/24 shock with minimal turning. For a coil-over shock, I chuck the plastic tree in a drill or lathe, then wind tiny salvaged telephone wire around at a very slow rpm. The bonus is colored coil springs. A heated blade easily makes a believable shape at each end that is easier to glue securely. I don't know if this would work on an old F-1, since the travel on those shocks was much longer.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby biedmatt » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:09 pm

biedmatt

Postby moparjenny » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:03 pm

moparjenny
Cupcakes

Postby biedmatt » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:23 pm

Men at Work