Decal questions

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

Decal questions

Postby slothead » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:27 pm

I've been working on some bodies to go on slot car chassis and that got me thinking about decals. The cars are intended to resemble some classic NASCARs, but not be true replicas of them. They will be NASCAR look-a-likes racing on a 'dirt' oval.

A few years ago I traded a Scalextric Camaro body for several sheets of Artin decals, and the numbers have come in handy for dirt track cars. I've also printed my own decals on shipping labels and cut them out to put on cars. I've only printed my own water slide decals once and am more comfortable with stick on decals.

Anyone make their own peel-n-stick decals using blank stock other than labels? Where did you get the stock to print on? Something made of thin plastic with a white base color would be ideal.

Also, is there a way to remove water slide decals without striping the whole body? I'm talking about self applied decals when no clear coat has been applied to the body afterwards. If you put on some water slide decals and then change your mind after they dry, what recourse is there?

Thanks.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Re: Decal questions

Postby CharlieB72 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:51 pm

You can try using scotch tape. Rub it on and then pull off quickly. Always worked for me.
CharlieB72

Postby Fitzy » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:00 pm

I have seen a full white sheet of peel and stick you can print on seen them in Walmart kinda had the same idea but for billboards around the new oval I am building Avery sticker project paper full sheets and for the water slide decals just soak the body in water kinda reverse the install they'll come off if the paint was dry underneath you'll prob never know.
Fitzy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby gascarnut » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:03 am

Go to papilio.com and check out their options for inkjet adhesive vinyl. They have clear and white, matte and gloss, and it works really well.
gascarnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby viejoronnie » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:33 pm

I loved those Artin peal and stick decal stickers. You could use them multiple times. I bought a bunch off Cherry on epay. Are they similar to Patto's cut, peal and stick decals?

I was thinking the same thing only making copies of the NOS Artin sheets using one sided adhesive vinyl sheet stock.

Papilio has sample packs of multiple sheets of their various white and clear vinyl sheets suitable for inkjet printing for less than $10.
viejoronnie
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby proxieken » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:39 am

I purchased decal paper from ebay from the seller World of Papers. Then you can use a free image editing program like paint.net and make your own images and then go out to get them printed at Staples using the laser printers there. Laser decal paper does not need sealed and I think the results are a little better.

If you have a printer/scanner you can scan an existing image at 600DPI resolution and get pretty sharp results.

Currently using white paper for cars needing white backgrounds and clear for the street cars.

However, the printers that print in 5 colors- (which means you get to add white as the 5th color) are getting cheaper. One that was $25,000 a few years ago is now $3500. Still out of my budget but the trend it positive. The toner is still extremely expensive.

I am exploring an option to print 5 color decals at home on my regular set up for future projects. It will be interesting to see if it works and I am awaiting supplies in the mail before I try it out.
proxieken
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Marty Stanley Scratchbuilders Shop