New project GTO

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

New project GTO

Postby proxieken » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:01 pm

I have been trying to build scale models inot slot cars for a Carrera digital track. This is a first attempt. I got a model kit at Hobby Lobby to practice on and purchased an old Exclusive Corvette to steal the chassis from.

I cut the chassis and lengthened it with some styrene strips and cleared out some space for the digital chip.

I also cut the axles a little bit to make it fit under the car better. The body and wheelbase fit fine. The tires look properly scaled to me, which is a problem I had with some other chassis kits which had tires that did not look correct.

I have to get the mounting posts and work on the interior. I will post more pics as the project progresses.
proxieken
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: New project GTO

Postby proxieken » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:02 pm

I should mention this is a first attempt at 1/24 scale. I did some other 1/32 scale cars before.
proxieken
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dge467 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:44 am

Coming along nicely!
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby jmsh54 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:20 pm

That looks like a great looking slot car. Look forward to seeing it done. Regards, John
jmsh54

Postby proxieken » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:21 pm

Some basics done. The decals with the kit are kind of odd but it fits in with the retro street racing theme I have been kind of stuck on.

The lighting and interior are going to be a challenge. I had to massively cut out the headlight bezels to try and fit bulbs in. The chassis is located at a decent height. This kit came with excellent rear tail light lenses so at least the back lights are going to be a breeze.
proxieken
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RazorJon » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:56 pm

good looking car, nice job
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby proxieken » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:25 pm

I put a couple of passengers in the car. They have no legs so I just painted blue stripes on the floor where the legs should be.

With the front lights wired up. I have been buying some lights from Radio Shack and it is cheaper to buy the random pack with a variety of colors. Parking lights are a good place to use up the yellow bulbs.

This angle shows the speedo lit up. That variety pack comes with green bulbs so I threw one under the dash. Not sure it really shows up very well, but at least I got some use out of it.

Now I have to rig up mounting posts and race it.
proxieken
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:41 pm

That is VERY cool!!! Nice work!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby TsgtRet » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:33 am

Very neat build. From your pictures I can imagine the passenger saying, "Henry, put your hands back on the wheel and quit showing off!"
What are your lights wired into? I concur on the Radio Shack LED multi pack....I needed to replace a head light on a Scaley 911 GT3 and found a bulb in there that worked and was even yellow like the original!
TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby jmsh54 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:08 am

Greetings, and finish it you did. From the paint to the interior wow. Regards, John
jmsh54

Postby dge467 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:19 pm

That came out nice! Great details and I love the lights!
dge467
The King of Foil

Return to The Marty Stanley Scratchbuilders Shop