[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - GTX mold thread

GTX mold thread

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

Re: GTX mold thread

Postby Fathead59 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:14 pm

Yes sir , I am going to do just like I did for the Cyclone , buy two , one for street and one for stock car racing
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:44 pm

Look at all that real estate on the rear quarter panel for some sponsor decals.

Love the Road Runner in Petty blue and red. Hope these are available for fall and winter projects. If enough of these type cars and bodies become available I could create a new series for '65 - '73 Grand National & ARCA cars. Already have a 2 Monogram Fairlanes, some Carrera Chargers and Torinos, and 2 Cyclones.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby Fathead59 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:13 pm

Well slothead , I am basically doing the same thing . I bought the wireless Scaletrix remote set that can run up to 6 cars wirelessly . I have enough cars that will take the remote chip , this way if I have friends over I will hand them a controller with a chip and have them pick out a car and give them a screw driver to put the chip in the car . Then we can race . The cars that do not take the chip , and I do have a few of them , we can always change out the peice of track with the piece that will let us run just two cars , with that it would have to be a round robin type of racing . Win or go home type of racing .
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:15 pm

Fathead - I'd suggest going ahead and pre-chipping some evenly matched cars so if a racer stops by you have some cars ready to go. Over time you can chip a bunch of cars in a series and drivers get to choose their car.

You can round robin race with 2 or more drivers. Did this with my grand sons for years. Two cars race and winner moves on, while loser goes to consolation race. We had 8 cars so 4 would be in the winners group and 4 in the consi group. To make it fun and have lots of short races we'd keep racing cars till they had 2 losses, then set them aside. Drivers would rotate in and out. My goal was to have a car be the big winner and for all of the drivers to have had fun. I kept records of points for cars based on wins, but never recorded who the driver was.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby slothead » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:25 pm

With my first Cyclone build nearly done and one more to go. I'm also definitely hyped up about what Proxie models may be offering next. GTX, Road Runner, '73 Torino (see white & blue #15 above), or '70 Torino GT Sportsroof (see Wendell Scott #34 above).

I know it takes a lot if work to get the molds done to Ken's satisfaction, but I'm hoping the next release will be forthcoming this year.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby proxieken » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:35 am

proxieken
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fathead59 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:44 pm

Slothead , I am basically doing that very thing . I have enough controllers and chips , and with the amount of cars I have I can run any number of different races . I think I have all of the TransAm Mustangs that Pioneer has . I also have a bunch of different cars that will take that chip
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:31 pm

Fathead - I have all of the Pioneer Trans Am Mustang replicas, plus one Camaro (#15 Penske-Donohue car), and many Scalextric Trans Am replicas. They all run well together. The Mustangs, Camaros, and Javelins are very similar, the Cougars and Challenger are a little slower and don't handle quite as well without some work.

I think you've said "when I get my track built", well I hope that's soon so you can start having fun with it. A sheet of plywood or MDF on saw horses will get you going, and you can upgrade over time.

Ken - everyone wants what they want and I've become aware of how popular gaming stuff is these days. I'm glad you serve a range of customers and understand slot car bodies are not all you do. I never expected the Cyclone to be available this summer, and am eager for more models. You do good work and are expending the range of choices available to us slot car maniacs.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby Fathead59 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:41 pm

Slothead , it is more like getting the tables built . Plan on making 2 tables with a leaf in the middle , it will be big enough to fit the Professor Motor additional track set .
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:53 pm

If you think anyone here might be able to help you with ideas or table building instructions start a thread in the 'Layout Planning & Design' section. There's so much expertise here someone will help you out throughout the building process. And, since you'll be using plastic track you can start small and grow into your ideal setup.

I usually end my days by running a few cars for 50 laps or so before coming in from the barn for bed. Tonight it was 2 Carrera classic NASCARs, a Monogram Fairlane, and a Pioneer Mustang mounted on a SCX chassis. All were fast and smooth, so I'm ready for a restful night's sleep.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby Fathead59 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:27 pm

Slothead , thank you for the info , I might even add my table plan here . Lucky enough that Professor Motor sold the Scaletrix extension track , I also bought a few other track sets , one for the cars and other for the track . I just need to get the tables made .
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:48 pm

I love thinking and posting about slot cars, as well as maintaining my spreadsheets and building stuff. But, I also look forward to getting a controller in my hand and turning laps so I don't forget the simple joy of racing.

As you progress plan on getting an adjustable power supply and a lap counting & timing system so you can find ways to have fun on your own. Lower voltage settings often mean more driveable cars without decreasing the value of skill. Tune and test sessions make both car and driver better.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby Fathead59 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:36 pm

Sorry for taking so long to reply , I do have an adjustable power source . One , to power my tire razor , and two , run power to the track set up . this way when my grandson comes over I can turn it down so he can have fun racing , instead of re-slotting his car all of the time .
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby proxieken » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:11 am

Well, finally got around to cutting on this.

16 set up required.

Step 1 was the drilling of the ejector holes and threading the holes for the hold down bolts on the bottom of this.

Step 2 is milling the top of the core.

Steps 3 and 4 will be turning this block on its sides to mill those down.

I hope to keep a good pace on this and work on it as often as possible.
proxieken
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:04 pm

What car is that mold going to be used for? The Torino Cobra or something to please the Mopar guys?

My second Cyclone is close to being done and I'll be ready for more projects after that. Whenever you let us know some new kits for cars around 19'70 are ready for sale I'll be making a purchase, and getting more Pioneer Charger chassis too.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

PreviousNext

Return to The Marty Stanley Scratchbuilders Shop