[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - GTX mold thread

GTX mold thread

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

Re: GTX mold thread

Postby proxieken » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:57 am

This is the Plymouth. I guess it is usable as a Road Runner/GTX/Satellite. I have a lot of decal options for this one to work on.
proxieken
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby cjperry81 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:21 am

cjperry81

Postby 32lbking » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:16 am

32lbking
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:47 pm

slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby proxieken » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:17 pm

A little more progress to show. The core block is ready for some polishing.

And the driver side plate is almost finished. Have to add the door handle and a little trim around the reflectors.

Notice how the roof part is higher than on the Mercury. I tried to run the seam where the vinyl top would have gone on the Merc but it is hard to trim the flash in that spot. This Plymouth has a vinyl top over only half the roof so no need to match that seam. I parted it higher up on the roof where the mold line would be easier to smooth.

A couple other things I am trying to do. There are no location spots in the underside. They were causing me sinking problems in the Mercury as the plastic cooled and contracted and really they are not that important.

Playing around with the mold design for the remaining parts and also trying to produce a more race style interior with roll cage.

The rear spoiler is going to be on the sprue if at all possible but there are no location on the car. I figure if you are a scratch builder you can make a guesstimate where to attach the rear pedestal spoiler.

Working on all 3 hoods to include if they will fit.

I need to do a little research on the wipers. On the Merc the wipers vanished behind the hood when not in use. I think this Plymouth was similar, but I could mold some wipers on to the front glass if they were visible.

The side mirror is not decided yet. I may copy an old 1970 Mustang kit from Revell where they had a protrusion that glued on the inside. I have to make that decision extremely soon because this side is almost done and if I need to put a post there I got to get to it.

One thing I greatly dislike about my normal slot cars I buy is how flimsy the side mirrors are. They usually end up lost within a few laps. I know I could remove them before racing but I already have a bag of mirrors collected from around the track. I do not want to have a spare parts bag for every car.

So if I am doing side mirrors they have to be solidly glued on so they do not come off in an accident.

Ok, so this is about 6 of the 16 steps finished.
Will post more pics as this project grinds ahead.
proxieken
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:15 pm

I ordered the Slot Car Fever decal set in 1/32nd, and the trunk number is left out. Apparently, the photo is of the 1/24th version. I emailed them and I haven't heard anything yet. Meanwhile, I am wondering how to make a white number 14 for the trunk of my car. I also think the very thin white "426" for the hood is extremely pale.

More news when I hear from them.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby proxieken » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:25 am

proxieken
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby FC47 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:39 am

Moving right along! Can’t wait!
FC47
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Wobble » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:45 pm

Thanks for adding the photos of the machining Ken, as among others, I find it really intriguing watching it unfolding.
Wobble
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:15 pm

original post:
I ordered the Slot Car Fever decal set in 1/32nd, and the trunk number is left out. Apparently, the photo is of the 1/24th version. I emailed them and I haven't heard anything yet. Meanwhile, I am wondering how to make a white number 14 for the trunk of my car. I also think the very thin white "426" for the hood is extremely pale.
More news when I hear from them.

Here's the news:
Slot Car Fever appears to be so disorganized that they messed up their attempt to correct their error. Not only is the large red trunk decal and white number decal still missing everywhere except the picture on their website (ya know, that's the only thing we have to know what we are getting- or not getting as it happens), but they have sent me another unacceptably pale white decal with what I assume is supposed to be the trunk number they left out last time (waaay out of scale and the wrong font, not matching the rest of the car) with hood decals that I already had from the first set. If they survive the next few years, I'll give them another chance but until then, they are off my list, and I will warn others when they see this car with screwy decals and ask what happened.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby slothead » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:27 pm

Waay - sorry to hear about your problems with SCF decals. They did alright by me with my recent (first) order. To cover my butt for mistakes I might make I ordered double sets of decals for 2 cars, giving myself a backup to use if needed. I meant to include a 5th decal in the order but forgot to. As soon as I got their order confirmation email I sent them a reply asking for the 5th decal to be added to the order and a Paypal invoice sent to me for it. I never got a reply from them but when my stuff arrived I got 5 decals after only having paid for 4. I used the added decals to 'enhance' my new Pioneer Charger street rod so it now looks like the #71 NASCAR of Dave Marcis, and it came out very nice.

I was hoping to build that #14 Charger in the future (still need to get hold of another '69 Charger body), but I'll put that project on hold till I see what you're able to do.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:43 pm

I'm still going to build the '69 Roadrunner, but I will have to resort to some creative stuff to make it look right. I am sure I can use about half of the Slot Car Fever decals, and I'll wing it for the rest, based on pictures from my old NASCAR books. Ya know, if it wasn't for NASCAR, CanAm, and TransAm picture books, I'd get all kinds of stuff wrong. Of course, the HRW fraternity can always be depended upon to show me what I screwed up!
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby slothead » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:12 pm

Waay - check out the thread I just started 'Carrera Torino Project'. I'll soon have 2 #92 Bobby Unser Pikes Peak Torinos and am wondering if anyone wants to do some horse trading with bodies or whatever.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby Fathead59 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:02 pm

Hello All , Hey Ken , just wondering if the GTX body is ready for purchase yet ? And will I have to go through eBay to buy it ?
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Wobble » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:35 am

Wobble
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to The Marty Stanley Scratchbuilders Shop