[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - GTX mold thread

GTX mold thread

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

Re: GTX mold thread

Postby slothead » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:28 am

Well, we are an anxious bunch after all. Like kittens climbing all over each other in excitement as bowls of food are prepared. I've already purchased decals for the Starsky and Hutch style Torino body Ken probably won't get to finish anytime soon.

We've been baited with the Cyclone and are eager for more.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby proxieken » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:57 am

My computer has been a bit clunky of late. It needs to be re-started almost every time I need to do something online.

But I will try to keep updating. I can at least read things on my phone.

Here is what the sides are looking like now. The reflector details and door handles are added.

'Image

The top is started and the roughing step was a lot of metal removal.

It looks much better after this step and now to smooth things a bit. We are working on step 10 of 16. I hope to have test shots of the body by early October and then begin the hood/glass molds.

Couple of concerns.

There is a round indented area on this car just in from of the hood and behind the bumper. It holds an emblem and logo.

I am not sure what to do with this. Currently the program is set to leave a round sunken area. I might engrave the center emblem and maybe make a decal for the surrounding logo. Engraving something this tiny is going to be tricky to prevent it from looking like a mess. The center could also be a decal which would prevent me from ruining everything with one tiny error.

This design may vary from car to car. I noticed the Road Runner has a different grill decoration than the GTX for example.

I have to make a decision on this within a few days. I am much more familiar with Fords..........................

Speaking of Fords, this is a neat but maddening thing from a modeling perspective.

The number of grill and hood variations is a lot to try to offer. This is a rather rare 1972 standard Torino. Most cars from this era are Gran Torinos and had a round grill and completely different front.

SO far I have seen no race cars that were standard Torinos. All have been Gran Torino with the round grill.

If anyone has information as to whether this car was raced please let me know. I am mulling over the idea of including the standard grill along with the Gran Torino grill.
proxieken
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby arroldn » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:25 am

To make it easier on the process a decal would work I think.
arroldn
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby proxieken » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:38 am

proxieken
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:26 am

I have never seen that standard Torino before. If I saw it, I would have assumed it was a Canadian version. Frankly, I like it better as a car to drive, but for slot cars I seldom do a street version of anything.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby crossovercrazy » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:38 am

I vote for decals for the emblem - you have had too much work to do already, and it will be hard to see on the track anyway!

My vote would be for the Gran Torino round grill, of which I want many - I am not a customer interested in the street car variants.

Thank you for your hard work on the most exciting projects in the slot car world for a long time, in my view!
crossovercrazy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby proxieken » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:45 am

proxieken
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:37 pm

What a gorgeous car. I'm right there with ya. Fun to dream, although I really liked the Windsor engine better. I used Windsor heads on my 289 Mustang and would have kept that engine if I could when I sold it.

Today, I saw a first-year Monte Carlo on a used car lot for next to nothing. It had stupid giant wheels and rubber band stupid tires, and was painted in primer gray, but the metal was straight as can be, including the hood that so often buckled from ungreased hinges. Get all that garbage off, and any other stupid crap, and it probably wouldn't take much to make a great daily driver. The interiors were simple, plenty of room to do fun custom stuff with it, and the car was way more comfortable to drive than most Caddys or Oldsmobiles, not to mention many times more dependable.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby dw5555 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:46 am

dw5555
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby proxieken » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:13 am

Step 10 is almost done. The only thing left is to add the trim around the glass and polish things a bit.

Next step is to assemble parts and run some test shots. Then build the other parts to fit whatever comes out of the mold. I will 3D print the hoods, bumpers and glass first to get as close a fit as possible.

It will be a few days before I can find time to make those.

Once I have some plastic bodies made I will share some pics. Always kind of fun to make a new mold and see what comes out.
proxieken
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby FC47 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:30 am

No doubt! Really cool!
FC47
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:36 am

You have eager customers here looking forward to getting your next release. It was 38 degrees this morning here in central Maine, definitely putting my attention on indoor projects.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby dge467 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:14 pm

I am interested in one of these bodies when ready please. Thanks!
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:20 pm

It was 96 degrees here today, and I am looking at indoor things to do, too!
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Previous

Return to The Marty Stanley Scratchbuilders Shop