[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Marty, the details on your Lola chassis

Marty, the details on your Lola chassis

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

Marty, the details on your Lola chassis

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:55 pm

Ok, great shot here

Your rear tube design catches my eye. So what size is it? (K&S part#?) Do you use bushings on the end...which ones?

Looks great.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: Marty, the details on your Lola chassis

Postby Florida_Slotter » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:00 pm

Harry,

The rear axle tube is a piece of 7/32 round brass tubing from K&S Engineering. I cut it 1.100 inches in length. After soldering it in place, I place an FC130 motor in place and then mark the opening to cut with a Dremel tool. When I complete cutting the piece out, I clean it up with a file.

Since the tubing is 7/32 inches in diamter outside, the inside is 3/16 - the same dimension of a commercial slot car raceway bushing or bearing. I like using Avid ball bearings. They cost $1.00 per bearing. You can find them on the Avid site.

At that price, I find it more economical to use the bearing. I do not think it makes the car any faster, it just keeps the car more consistent for a long time.

If it would help, perhaps another step by step would be in order?
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby Florida_Slotter » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:50 pm

Sorry,

I was delayed by a couple of orders. Those that pay get moved to the top of the pile!

Hopefully this week I will finish up the chassis, get it all equipped, take lots of photos and share them here. Then on Friday, we will do some 'testing' and I will report back here.
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby Florida_Slotter » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:05 am

Bibbster,

Well I finally got ALL the parts to finish this off, and I can use both hands again to build.

So pardner, stay tuned as we're going to finish the way behind project off starting Monday.

I know you're anxious, but no where near as much as ModlerBob is! :banana-rock:

All good things come to those who wait.
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby gascarnut » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:02 am

Just saw this thread today for the first time. Man, that frame looks good!

(and familiar, too!)

Brass frame under RTR car bodies make for some real nice racers.
gascarnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Florida_Slotter » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:33 am

Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby FootScoot » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:48 pm

I like the looks of that chassis, and it fits very well under the Lola. I'll bet she handles good too. :) I've got a Scaley VW convertible project that chassis would work good on. 8-) Just what is the charge for such a chassis if you don't mind me asking? ;)
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby gascarnut » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:30 am

Marty,

Your next step needs to be to make the side pans "rattle" a bit. Not lots of movement, just .010 or so in all directions will be fine.

It really helps with hard bodies, as it is difficult to get nice movement between the pans and the body, so better to mount the body solid to the pans and let the whole assembly shake a bit.
gascarnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Florida_Slotter » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:52 pm

Dennis,

Lola #2 will have that feature. This one will have a bit of isolation of the body from the chassis in the body mount. I like 'rattlers' as they do work outstandingly!

I hope to test Lola #1 this coming Friday.

Then I will incorporate all that I learn into Lola #2.

Thanks for the tip. I'm still finding my way around this hardbody mounting. A new way of doing things.

Each one is just a tad better then the one you just finished.
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Return to The Marty Stanley Scratchbuilders Shop