[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Chrysler New Yorker - done & cruzin Mel's!

Chrysler New Yorker - done & cruzin Mel's!

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

Chrysler New Yorker - done & cruzin Mel's!

Postby Dundee Denny » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:28 pm

ImageImageImageImage

This build has been put off for ever!

The 1/32 kit has 8 million pieces and the sides etc all have to be pieced together. Nothing against the Boyz but not bondo experts.

tore apart another build to get the Truxmore chassis, will be interesting to see if this build makes it to the end, or will it need to be photoed from a distance not to see the flaws!!

Dundee Denny
Last edited by Dundee Denny on Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Dundee Denny
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Chrysler New Yorker

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:26 pm

I have that kit, and it is in "The Bone Yard". After seeing all those sections, I decided that it might not hold up very well :)

Of course, it could be done so I hope yours turns out good.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby dge467 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:28 pm

I know you can pull this one off fine! I built a couple of them a few years ago, the hardest part for me was making the front and rear windows.
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby Dundee Denny » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:43 am

DGE if you have pictures of the cars would be great to see how you built them!!

Harry this kit has been in my bone yard too for several years, and decided it would make for a good February project. Says on the box 78 custom combinations and I believe that!!

Going with lots of hot glue on all the seams and so far so good. Not good fits with all the different pieces so going to attempt the putty and sanding route, which has been scary at best in past attempts, time and pictures will tell all!!!

Dundee Denny
Dundee Denny
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DHansen » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:00 am

My buddy in high school had a full size one of those back in the late 70's. Cool old large car. Big Hemi, 2 speed push button automatic, 4 doors, we could fit 4 across front and rear. It was an exelent party barge. Good luck with the build.
DHansen
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby cagee13 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:24 am

A few years ago I built one of the Revell Continental kits. Instead of puttying and sanding I cheated a bit and used engine enamel for the paint. It goes on thick and can cover up quite a bit of detail but it also hid the seam. I agree with dge467 the heavily curved glass is a nightmare.
cagee13
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dundee Denny » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:05 am

Hey Cagee13 - if you have a picture of yours, looking for ideas!!

Leadfinger will head to the hardware store, never used Shoe Goo before, thanks for the tip!!

Dundee Denny
Dundee Denny
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby cagee13 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:45 pm

Shoe Goo is a must. In the past I used JB Weld to secure body posts but since buying Shoe Goo it makes body post installs much easier.

cagee13
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dundee Denny » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:50 pm

Looks very very good, is yours static or slotcar powered?

Dundee Denny
Dundee Denny
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby cagee13 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:50 pm

It is a slotcar. The chassis is one of the brands that JWL sold a few years ago that I stretched and the wheel/tires are from a pioneer charger.
cagee13
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dundee Denny » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:55 pm

any back end shots, noticed you have the tire on back.

they have these "wings" and trying to decide if I want to be that "out there" once its done its done.

mine so far seems much taller and boxie too!!

thanks for sharin

Dundee Denny
Dundee Denny
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby cagee13 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:55 pm

cagee13
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dge467 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:38 pm

Here are some pictures Dundee. One is a 55' Chrysler, the other a 56'. The 55' is on a stretched Truxmore, the 56' on a stretched Carrera Nascar. The windows were made with clear plastic packaging. To get the correct shape I cut a piece out and held it in place and used a hair drier to get it to fit into shape.ImageImageImageImage
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby Dundee Denny » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:52 pm

Cagee13 I need to quit looking at these on my phone!!!

DGE also thinking about two tone paint, hope I can get close to your workmanship!!

After seeing yours thinking I will pass on all the extra fins etc they have in the kit.

Sure appreciate all the sharin of cars you guys built!!!

Dundee Denny
Dundee Denny
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dundee Denny » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:54 pm

ImageImage

No wonder that Revell had all the problems they have had in the past. The manufacturing flaws on this model and flashing is just amazing.

Everytime I prime it, more flaws become glaring.

Here's to a night of finding a good TV show and sanding - priming!

Dundee Denny
Dundee Denny
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to The Marty Stanley Scratchbuilders Shop