[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Mold progress

Mold progress

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

Re: Mold progress

Postby proxieken » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:14 pm

Last edited by proxieken on Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
proxieken
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Wobble » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:19 pm

That Carling car is looking pretty darn good from where I'm sitting and I'm thinking it'd look pretty darn good even without the red stripes in more of a fantasy livery.
Wobble
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:53 pm

There was a brand new Cyclone Spoiler a few blocks down the street from us. It took me a while to get used to that massive nose, but it grew on me. I even liked the bullseye/bombsight. It was an unusual blue/green teal with black markings, and it sounded like sin itself coming down the street.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby proxieken » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:20 pm

I have figured out what is giving me problems on the gun sights.

During the EDM process I was not flushing enough and some debris drifted to the lowest part of the mold and became fused there. This is unfortunately the gun sights which are the defining characteristic of the front of this car. This debris prevented the plastic from filling out the cavity and created the fuzziness.

I always check with clay pressed in to a cavity to see how things are looking and they looked great. But I checked before the EDM process. I really was not aware of the problem until I started trying to paint them and got strange results. Part of the problem is my decreasing eyesight with tiny things as I age. :oops:

The mold will be cleaned up and I will try to make a new batch when I get the time. I have stopped selling the car for now, although if you are going to build a race version that grill is fine.

Once the mold is fixed I will re-post and we can get better gun sights out to the guys building street cars.
proxieken
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby FC47 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:41 pm

Got here today, really cool :banana-dance:
:text-thankyouyellow:

Treat to have the kit, finally opened it, looked over the parts for 20 minutes at all the work that went into em. See the flow in the molds, the tooling.
Got 30 bales of hay unloaded and put up. Nice quiet evening now cleaning up Cyclone parts on the porch. Can't beat it!
:text-bravo:
Last edited by FC47 on Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FC47
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:11 pm

Mine's here. Can't wait to clear the decks and get to work on this rascal. I'll try to do you proud, Ken.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Fathead59 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:45 pm

And yes Ken , that is the Charger body I am talking about . Just got the Torino body today and have been looking at different colors to paint it . Also have a few Pioneer Chargers that I might swap out , they have different tire and wheel combo .
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fathead59 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:59 pm

Ken , I already have a few of the pervious years of the Charger , from other companies , getting one of the year that you might make would be a very nice addition to my collection .
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:58 pm

Got my Cyclones in the mail today. Rain is in the forecast for tomorrow late afternoon and Wednesday so I'll start work on them soon.

Some questions for Ken or anyone also doing these builds.

Are the decals precoated or will they need a clearcoat before soaking in water to use?

Silicone tires work best on my oval - anyone know what the part number is for some soft Quick Slicks for the Pioneer Charger rear wheels?

I didn't want to lose any parts before starting assembly, so I just took a quick look in one of the bags. It looks like there might be some body mount posts on one of the black sprues, but I'm not sure. What are some of you thinking of doing to mount the body to the Pioneer chassis?

If anyone wants to start a 'Cyclone build and tune' thread it would be helpful for all of us to share info. Anyone here waay too much into this hobby to resist?
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby FC47 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:19 pm

Hey I would, I bet Rob would. I've only fitted body panels and cleanup. I know the black cone shaped parts can be posts to the pioneer chassis. I haven't tried positioning them yet.
My Aces of Spades are on stock tires, I'll look at a chart for Quicks..I bet Harry knows.
Can the Pioneer five spoke mags be pulled out of the hubs, insert-wise? And put in some steelies or nascars?
FC47
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:54 pm

If no one else starts a build thread in a day or two, I will. Mostly just to find out what others are doing before I dig in to finish mine up. I have 2 and will probably do them one at a time so I don't make same mistake more than once.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby crossovercrazy » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:50 pm

I got mine today, and was thrilled. Ken, I could use some advice here on how you mount the mounting posts you make, and how to line them up with the chassis holes.

Put me down for a lot of Roadrunners, Chargers, Gran Torinos, and even 72 or 75 Matadors if you make them - please just make their wheelbases compatible (around 92 mm) with the stockpile of Carrera stockers and their chassis I have.

A big run of those heads in the interior kits - the drivers, and even more so the bare heads - would be great as a product too.

Am I wrong in seeing that the black car behind the yellow Charger in your Riverside picture looks a lot like the Pontiac Gran Am that ran there? (Herb Adams built car)
crossovercrazy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:05 pm

waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby proxieken » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:41 am

To answer your questions.

The decals were laser printed. They do not need to be coated before use, but I always put floor polish over them after I put them on the car. The ink will not run like an ink jet printed decal when soaked.

There are 2 mounting posts included that will line up with the mounting posts on the Pioneer chassis. Short in the front and taller one for the rear. When I mount builds to the body I usually screw the post to the chassis and then glue the body to the top of the mounts and let it dry. That way I can line it up.

You may need to shorten or add a shim to get the ride height you want.

The interior tray also has some large screw posts. In case someone is building a brass chassis and needs a place to mount things.

The Pioneer chassis need a tiny bit off the front and rear but it is a good fit.

The goal was to put everything you might need to build your car in one place and save some work.

One thing in the interior. It has 2 rear mounting locations. The longer one is for fastback cars. I 3D printed the 72 Torino and had to add that to the tray.

For this car use the shorter mounting rectangle and cut off the end.

I found a good 3D model of that Charger or one similar to it. So it is also possible to make if I can find time. Did it only come with one style hood? That saves some work.
proxieken
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby crossovercrazy » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:57 am

Thank you for all the answers, Ken. Its nice to see a real modeler/racer design these products, and build their hands on assembly knowledge and experience into them.

Did I understand you say the Mopar Carrera chassis fit better than the Torinos? I plan to run Carrera stocker chassis underneath them, to be compatible with the other cars I will run then. I assume the mounting post bar will need to be broken and spread out differently for the Carrera chassis, and the heights of front and rear posts changed. That's the only request I would make on your future kits, is to add a set of Carrera stocker posts to the sprues, with the right width and height for them, but I may be getting greedy!

My heart fluttered when I read you had already printed out the Torino models. Bring on the Roadrunners, Torinos and Chargers (and I still dream of an early 70s and late 70s Matador!). A single smooth racing hood for each is fine from my corner (I think the Charger is fine with that), but others may differ.
crossovercrazy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to The Marty Stanley Scratchbuilders Shop