Mold progress

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

Re: Mold progress

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:28 pm

Yes indeed.

Been watching this from the bleachers. This is the kind of car our hobby needs, and an impressive effort.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Broman62 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:03 pm

That looks to have turned out fantastic Prox...agree with Slothead on HRW members interested in purchasing when all is completed...would make a sweeeeeet Showdown Car!!! :auto-driving: :auto-driving:
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby proxieken » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:10 am

Just wanted to share some pics. Some things went well, other not so well. I got some decals in the mail from Patto's and proceeded to put them to use.
Image\

The war canoe grill has been more of a problem than anticipated. Only the race grill seems to look fine. The others look fine except for the gun sight, which is the only part that counts. Parts are not fitting together, as you can see by the hood on this car. I am not real pleased with a model that requires a belt sander to assemble. It actually fits about the same as my old real one used to............

However, it is good enough for me to pound around the track with. I thought this would fit Carrera Torino and Charger, as well as Pioneer and Scaley Charger chassis. It does not fit the Torino. Wheel base is the same but the Torino will have to be shaved a little to not interfere with the grill on the body.

Been plagued with basement flooding issues that has ruined my model building workplace. My well overflowed, and my well is in the basement.................

I will update again with some more pics if I can find time to build any more. I got a ton of decals from Pattos. They are great, because each sheet has enough to make at least 2 cars. The Darrel Waltrip sheet looks like I can make 6 cars out of it!
proxieken
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby JULES » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:20 pm

Ken,

Considering you are beavering away at this project all on your Jack Jones, I think you have done a remarkable job.

The panel shut lines, like on the hood, between separate parts will drive you nuts. Was the hood drawn into the same design cloud of reference points that you drew the body in? What might look like a reasonable hairs gap on screen can be magnified by the shrinkage on cooling of the parts. Knocks out the shut lines and also can mess up your locator stakes.

If that is the only hood style you need, then you may want to consider moving the injection gate to the top of windshield and filling in the engine bay with a fixed hood. Lot of work but you'll be more pleased. Having said that, if you're aiming at selling just a few hundred to keen modellers then they may be happy enough to fettle things themselves. You have a great overall shape for them to start with.

Jules
JULES
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby proxieken » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:56 pm

Thanks again for the tips Jules. I learn by trial and error, which requires a lot of errors. The second hood is for the street car and has a scoop of sorts. I am fairly sure I can work out most of these issues. Frustration seems to go with the territory but I am insanely pleased to be able to have filled out my own collection at least. I would be delighted to sell a hundred kits someday, but will not do that until they are at least presentable.

Not to mention I have made 3 grills and 2 hoods, which is simply too many chances for something to go wrong. The street grills were messed up by setting my Z a tiny amount low and folding the aluminum. Not sure if they can be fixed or not but other than the gun sight they look amazing.

The big mistake I made was picking a car with an odd grill as a learning project. I should have done this instead-

Look at that flat and much easier to mold front end. That is going to be next. Something much simpler. :lol:
proxieken
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby FC47 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:22 pm

Awesome car you made right there!!!!
Way to go!!
FC47
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby proxieken » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:24 pm

Thanks Paul. Going to sort out the issues ASAP and have another go. I hope I do not have to re-make another plate. There is a small bit here and there that needs nipped as of now and that is annoying.

Have to run parts for a customer before I get back to it so the entire mold set up gets taken down.

Overall it is good enough for me, and if you look back over this thread things have progressed a long way. My goal is to keep making those incremental improvements over the next few years and someday be able to produce something almost as good as a regular company.
proxieken
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Wobble » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:24 pm

That is a good job on a nice looking car and to my eye the slightly ill fitting hood/bonnet just adds to the flavour immensely. I wouldn't change a thing.
Wobble
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:50 pm

Man! That is just too cool! Definitely some great progress and hope to someday be able to snag one (or more) of these for builds!
Keep up the great work!
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby proxieken » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:56 pm

It has been a month and the basement is finally flood free for now. Lots of work but better than ever in the hobby room.

Making slow progress on things, I gave 6 bodies and decals to a friend who is better at taping than me and will post pics of his work when he is done. He is tackling the Darrel Waltrip brown and gold car and I wish him luck on that.

For now I am working on that accursed "war canoe" grill. This pic is of the street car version with the scooped hood and gun sight grill. The grill goes in so far the bodies do not set neatly on either the Pioneer Charger chassis or Carrera Torino chassis without a little surgery. Hopefully in the future I will learn from this and plan accordingly. The rear spoiler is not on this car but I will take another pic and post it with the pedestal spoiler in place. There is also a hidden headlight grill. Being a fan of lights I had to make the taillight section open so the car can have some brake lights someday. I am awaiting some decal paper in the mail to produce the stripes for on the street car.

proxieken
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:52 pm

That is looking AWESOME!!!!
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby slothead » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:44 pm

That red car with 'chrome' door handles and around the windshield looks great. Just saw a Cyclone at a car show yesterday and remarked it's one of my favorite body styles. I hope you get this to the point you're ready to offer some for sale. I'd love to be able make a replica of Wendell Scott's NASCAR.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby proxieken » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:32 am

Got some decal paper in the mail on Saturday and printed out the stripes scaled to 1/32. Started on the glass mold and getting really impatient to finish this and run some laps.

Tail light mold is finished and this car will be sporting lights once it is wired up for Carrera D132.

Hope to have some more of these finished in the near future.
proxieken
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:45 pm

Incredible effort here sir. Looks good to me.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Fathead59 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:07 pm

Very nice looking car, sing me up for any bodies that will be made
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to The Marty Stanley Scratchbuilders Shop